One person dead, two in hospital following accident on TCH near Goobies

Ross Mair

TCH to be closed for 'four to six hours'

The driver of an east-bound vehicle — a Honda sedan — has died following a two-vehicle accident just west of Goobies on the Trans-Canada Highway this afternoon.

The two occupants of the other vehicle, a Ford truck, were transported to hospital in Clarenville with undetermined injuries.

Clarenville RCMP is advising the TCH will be closed in both directions west of Goobies at Trailside until further notice.

RCMP Traffic Services Collision Re-constructionists are enroute to the scene.

Updates to be provided when available.

The public is asked to find alternate routes, if possible, as the highway will be closed during the course of the investigation.

Organizations: Trans-Canada Highway, Ford, RCMP Traffic Services Collision Re

Geographic location: Clarenville

Comments

Comments

• CR
    December 12, 2012 - 18:11

I came back after posting a comment earlier this past weekend to see if these pictures were removed - but NO they weren't.... Do any of you who was involved in the approval process of these pictures being posted have any compassion for the family/friends of this individual?! As I said before an apology should be issued to the family of the deceased...... There are 32 comments posted on these images - I'm sure more will surface... Lack of respect is an understatement!

• Wanda Simmonds - Sunnyside
    December 12, 2012 - 10:09

My first question, WHY is this picture still on your webpage? I have seen other news coverage and the vehicles were not shown. They were respectful of the situation and the families of the deceased. I am a close friend of the parents of this young lady and as I sat with her mother and dried her tears, the mother would say, "I will never get that picture out of my head". You should have shown better judgement before publishing these pictures. For an award winning newspaper, this time, you are the loser.

• Unknown
    December 11, 2012 - 11:07

I have to agree with everyone else on this...these pics should not have been posted the way they were or even at all...They should have had some common sense when doing this story and consider the family of the person involved...I know alot of people who travel over this road on a daily basis and the first thing i thought of was maybe my parents....!!! I know the family involved in this and i am sure it must have been devastating for them to see. I cannot believe that our local paper would be so heartless and inconsiderate of the families involved...

• kt
    December 11, 2012 - 09:37

in my opion this paper should be sued or some type of legal action so this doesnt happen to another family in the future,very disgraceful for a paper of such standards to do this to the family and our surounding communities .never will i buy another packet.

• Pearl Martin
    December 10, 2012 - 19:32

I was just reading the comments posted here - mostly against the publication of the photos - and was wondering if this week's Packet will have these photos included with the story? If such is the case, then I can surmise that our local newspaper is not listening to the voices of its readers. Dissatisified readers won't buy newspapers = decline in paper sales. Is that what you want?

• connie parsons
    December 10, 2012 - 11:03

Disgraceful!!!!! I am a close family friend and to find out this way! im to upset to even say how im feeling,,i know im done with the packet!I know headlines make the news ,but there is no need to post pictures,out of respect for the family,hard way to find out.Just disgraceful!!!!

• debbie smith
    December 10, 2012 - 10:51

Thinks that it is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE that these pictures were posted to your website even BEFORE all the family and friends were notified of the TRAGIC DEATH of a loved one!! "OUR" local newspaper should be VERY ASHAMED for allowing this to happen......I'm NOT SURE if you can imagine how this has added MUCH MORE HEARTBREAK to an already UNBEARABLE SITUATION - but I KNOW the deceased family and AM a friend......and it completely turns my stomach at THE PACKETS lack of compassion for people who "USED TO" support this paper......I'm sure I speak for MANY when I say that I WILL NO LONGER BE A CUSTOMER!

• S.
    December 10, 2012 - 10:25

My condolences to the family. But, regarding the pics, we are all here looking at them, aren't we.

• Anonymous
    December 10, 2012 - 01:18

I cannot believe that our local paper has stooped to such a low level as to post pictures of a tragic accident before the vehicles had even been removed from the highway. This picture was circulating on social media long before traffic was even allowed to move past the accident site. I have to wonder where the reporters head or even their heart was when he or she decided it was appropriate to post online. And where was the editor. Isn't he or she the one who has the final say before anything is published.

• Sherry
    December 09, 2012 - 22:31

This picyure better not be in this weeks paper..If so I will never buy another

• Unknown
    December 09, 2012 - 11:22

This is absolutely horrifying. I think that what these reporters did is nasty of them. Funny thing that if this reporters loved one had of been the deceased , he she would not have such pictures in the packet. I knew the deceased, and she was a daughter, a friend, a aunt, and had a wonderful boyfriend! I don't know what this world is coming to, but there is definetly no respect to the families and friends. A brief summary of the accident would have been enough without pictures. Then I come to find out that the familie was not notified before these pictures were put up, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves and learn what respect is, because you certainly do not have any! I never bought the packet, and I am continuing not to. Disgusting

• Unknown
    December 09, 2012 - 11:21

• Unknown
    December 09, 2012 - 11:21

• Rick Pippy
    December 09, 2012 - 10:27

When I saw this picture circulating on facebook I was disgusted by the blatant need for sensationalism. Freedom of the press is a constitutional right I support, morally deprived disrespectful abhorrent content I don't.

• CR
    December 09, 2012 - 09:19

My heart goes out to the family and friends of such a beautiful person. I am ashamed and to say that is an understatement that any media company would allow for such horrific pictures to be posted. These pictures were on here not long after the accident happened and we all know that posting such devastating news goes viral in the matter of seconds.... How many knew this person and didn't know anything had happened until seeing these pictures? Ridiculous is an understatement.... The Packet should be expressing sincere apologies to the family and friends of this innocent life lost.... Never ever recommending The Packet to anyone or buying their paper - there are appropriate and professional ways this could of been brought to the public..... Disgusting.

• Duffy
    December 09, 2012 - 09:10

Hey Folks it is a real world where money/money/money and sales determine all companies actions. Regardless of what they say, money is the end objective! That picture is called a "grabber" and they are used in the industry to sell-sell-sell! Sad but true..................and remember as you stroll around doing your Christmas shopping you are also part of the problem - as you chase special sales - because all of the stores use exactly the same approach using "grabbers" - and we support that. Heartfelt sympathy to the familes.

• Don Pardy
    December 09, 2012 - 02:10

Shame on the reporter and the editor for having these pictures appear just hours after the death of a loved one. I wonder is this what it takes to sell papers, no matter at what personal hurt you cause others. My days of buying your paper are over. Sad,Sad,Sad

• name withheld
    December 08, 2012 - 19:45

I am absolutely appalled that such pictures are posted. But yet you say this on this page "Please be polite...We ask that users remain courteous...You may not post insulting, discriminatory or inappropriate content...but yet you are allowed to post these pictures. How hypocritical!!!!!!!!!!! This story could still be reported without such graphic pictures, and it will forever haunt me and anyone else that knew this beautiful girl Shame on you, show some consideration for the family and friends of this girl and in the future, Family and friends do not need to find out they have lost a loved one by seeing pictures such as this and recognizing the vehicle and finding out such tragic news in such a horrific way

• ..
      December 08, 2012 - 21:26

Agree %100000 !!

• Sherry
      December 09, 2012 - 09:33

What u guys did, is just not right...You should never put pictures of accidents on here for everybody to view...I bet half of the family members didn't know about this and u guys already had pictures posted..have respect

• Pamela
    December 08, 2012 - 17:46

Do you really think it is necessary to put up pictures of the accident????

• Emily
    December 08, 2012 - 14:15

I can't believe that a local paper would post these pictures so soon after the accident. The packet posted these pictures so fast that a lot of people didn't even know that the accident had happened. This is actually disgusting. I will never buy the packet again. Even VOCM didn't have these pictures, all the pictures on VOCM is just pictures of police cars that were not even at the scene of the accident. There is nothing worse than seeing those pictures. I know when my brother passed in a boating accident I would not have wanted to see pictures of the pond.

• Emily
    December 08, 2012 - 14:14

• Emily
    December 08, 2012 - 13:50

• Paulina
    December 08, 2012 - 11:22

This is images that will be burned into the friend and families for a long time if not the rest of their lives, it should not have been posted especially the same day before the family was even notified. Can you imagine the horror if and when a family or friend seen this car and recognized it as their daughter or best friends car before they even had knowledge of what had happen?

• Justin Stanley
    December 08, 2012 - 11:20

where are the cops to,you hardly sees them anymore until something already happens,when its to late.theyre not out patroling,atleast not very much and everyone knows that here in the Clarenville area after 12:30-1:00 in the night youre not likely to see a cop anywhere,theyre gone home,on call.THAT ALL NEEDS TO CHANGE,so much as they might not be liked they need to be out doin their jobs,out on the street,where they belong.Some prevention needs to be done when it comes to the way people drive on our roads and when it comes to crime prevention such as drugs,break and enters etc.RCMP needs to start doin theyre jobs!!!!!

• unknown
    December 08, 2012 - 11:04

I knew the victim and I am heartbroken these pictures are such an insult to the smith family. They should not have to see pictures like this after losing such a big part of their lives. There truly is no decency left in this world. Where has people's compassion gone.

• Agnes Warren
    December 08, 2012 - 07:05

I bought the Packet every week for a lot of years. Now, I only buys it occasionally. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know the family of the deceased. Nevertheless, I doubt that I will ever buy The Packet again. The picture is disrespectful to the family of the deceased. The picture is disgusting. The person you send to cover the story can't have an shread of decency. This insult is appropiate.

• jessica woods
    December 08, 2012 - 05:38

I think it's sad that such photos have been posted. I understand it's the job of a reporter to report things, but right after such a nasty accident, the family of this person do not deserve to see this. The article could have been written without the photos.

• Mary
    December 07, 2012 - 23:40

Sending my love, prayers and words of a mom to say I don't know what to say at this time. Praise Jesus!! Bless this Mother and wrap her tightly in your arms, she needs you more than ever now. However, hard it is only the Lord has answers, Life is so Precious. Angels in heaven be with the family to help comfort and protect them to somehow come to terms with this senseless tradgedy. Sending my love, prayers and heartfelt sympathy.

• Pearl Martin
    December 07, 2012 - 22:52

I must say I am appalled that our local newspaper would choose to post these pictures so soon after this tragedy. True, it is local news but why use someone's tragedy to capitalize on journalism? I did not know the young lady and I am shocked and appalled so I cannot even imagine how this girl's friends and family must feel. To lose a dear one is heart-wrenching but to have such explicit photos published on the internet within hours of the tragedy is utterly unthinkable. This is not good reporting but exploitation of one's job as a reporter. Whatever happened to empathy and compassion in this reporter?

• Deanna
    December 07, 2012 - 15:51

This is tragic! I know this road well and there are no alternative routes. Condolences to the families involved.

• Jewel
      December 08, 2012 - 06:50

I question the need for printing such a disturbing picture just hours after this accident happened. Although your paper wanted to report the news of the accident, family and friends do not need to see such a graphic image posted here or on Facebook. I think we need more compassionate reporting in cases like this!