Award winning Newfoundland chef missing in Ontario

Jonathan Gushue, a 41-year-old chef from Newfoundland, is reported missing in Ontario. — File photo by J. Bielaski/Special to The Telegram

An award winning chef from Newfoundland is reported missing in Ontario.

Jonathan Gushue, 41 years of age, was last seen in the downtown Toronto area on December 31, 2012.  His family has had no contact with him since that date and are concerned for his well being.

Gushue has been the exeutive chef at Langon Hall’s dining room in Cambridge, Ontario since 2005. Langdon Hall was named as one of San Pellegrino’s best 100 restaurants in the world in 2010.

Gushue is married and has three children. The most recent posts on his infrequently-used Twitter account are dated Dec. 26.

Gushue is white, about five feet,10 inches tall, 180 pounds, with short dark hair and blue eyes. He may also be going by the name Jonathan Herder.

Anyone with information on Gushue’s whereabouts is asked to call Waterloo Regional Police at 519-650-8500 ext. 2299.

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Ontario, Toronto Cambridge San Pellegrino

Comments

Comments

• jason
    January 12, 2013 - 19:14

Toronto a cesspool? That's the last word that comes to mind. Sounds like someone has a hate-on for Toronto. Envy can be ugly.

• susan
    January 11, 2013 - 19:23

Really? A cesspool? As many have said, the article is about a man who is missing, with a family that must be terrified. I am a middle aged woman who lives alone in downtown Toronto. I walk around alone at night all the time, never had a problem. I also have operated a business on Yonge St for almost 30 years without incident. People should be concerned for Johnathon not the safety of Toronto..

• Bonnie
    January 08, 2013 - 04:58

I cannot believe the arguments here about the safety of our cities when this news item is clearly about a man missing, a man who has a family who is undoubtedly worried sick about him. Let's pray for his safe return.

• Fred
    January 07, 2013 - 22:32

So you know, Mike, violent crime rate in Montréal if about the half of TO's. Montréal's reputation is more about a «vibrant city» than a «unfriendly» place to visit/ live...

• FellowNL'er
    January 07, 2013 - 20:24

This article isn't about Toronto, or any other city for that matter. It is about a missing man. It sounds like he went missing as a result of his own actions and foul play is not suspected. As a resident of Kitchener, the city that Jonathan Gushue also calls home as well as a fellow Newfoundlander, I hope he and his family get in touch so that they can work out whatever led to this situation. It is not our business, and not for us to judge. The article was written in hopes of finding this man...thats all. Negative comments about him, his family or any city is not going to help anything.

• James
    January 07, 2013 - 18:38

I certainly pray that Jonathan is found safe and sound. And to Louis, as a Newfoundlander looking for work back in the early 70's when nothing could be found here, Toronto supplied me with a job,a roof over my head, lifelong friends and a very good life. To this day I am grateful to that city and always look forward to my visits back there and a stroll down Younge Street at night. There is crime everywhere and me for one would be very nervous to travel George St. area in St. John's alone at night .

• Anonymous
    January 07, 2013 - 16:25

Agreeing with Mike's comment on Toronto. For a large North American city it is very, very safe. Also, the National Post has done a more detailed report on this which mentions that Gushue has gone missing before and that police aren't treating this as suspicious. I wish Gushue and his family the best of luck, but it sounds like this has more to do with ongoing personal issues that are none of the public's business.

• Thenev
    January 07, 2013 - 16:10

Mike, while you make a valid and supported argument against Louis that one should not make blanket, ignorant statements about your city, you undermine it somewhat with an ending that lists other "less friendly" cities... speaking as a Montrealer I think you would be hard-pressed to find a more welcoming city. Respectfully, before you call someone out for pointing the proverbial finger, perhaps you should be more mindful about what yours is doing. That being said, I sincerely hope that regardless of what happened, Jonathan Gushue is found safe and sound.

• TODD
    January 07, 2013 - 14:09

Crime rates in Toronto are actually 10.6% lower then the national average, while st johns sits 23.2% above.. i grew up in St johns, and moved to Toronto after university.. and i can tell you that i feel much safer walking downtown Toronto then i do walking down George st. The city really needs to be cleaned up.

• Jason
    January 07, 2013 - 12:58

Who's "they" ?

• Louis Humphreys
    January 07, 2013 - 11:03

Sounds like he was out, alone, in the downtown area, not something to be doing in today's Toronto. They don't call Toronto a cesspool for nothing. I sure hope he's ok. My prayers are with him for a safe return to his family and friends.

• Mike
      January 07, 2013 - 12:53

Its very sad, but I find your comment on Toronto entirely ignorant. No one calls Toronto a cesspool and being from that city can assure you that any city has its issues but the worst areas are not on the downtown core but in areas like Scarborough and Brampton and secluded spots on the west end that youre not going to anyways. Second off, Toronto has a much lower random violent crime rate than most cities in this country, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, even Halifax have a higher crime rate than Toronto. I lived and worked downtown in Toronto all my life and I have never felt nervous or scared at any point. Do things happen yes and I wouldn't in any place tell someone to go out by themselves at night But its a vibrant and SAFE city. Montreal, Regina, Saskatoon, Prince George are all way less friendly and safe cities and maybe you should go visit Toronto first before you make a comment as such