Moose blamed for truck overturning

Paul
Paul Hutchings

DEER LAKE Police say a truck driver is lucky to be alive after he hit a moose on the Trans-Canada Highway just west of the Howley exit.

The driver suffered only minor injuries and was able to walk away from the overturned vehicle, which was destroyed when it went off the road just past 5 a.m. Thursday morning. The 51-year-old male driver from the Conception Bay South area swerved to avoid the moose but still hit it, causing him to lose control and veer into the opposing lane and into the ditch beyond.

He had been carrying a load of beer, which was spilling from the trailer. The driver was taken to Western Memorial Hospital in Corner Brook where he was treated for minor injuries.

Organizations: Trans-Canada Highway, Western Memorial Hospital in Corner Brook

Geographic location: DEER LAKE, Howley, Conception Bay

Comments

Comments

• Stuart Pearce
    August 02, 2013 - 10:58

Blame, blame , blame the drivers, always the driver fault. Moose can cover forty five feet in one second!, I like to know who offers the training to avoid the road bombs on legs. Get your facts straight Dave, perhaps a thump on the head from a moose will be the education you are lacking in, and if you travel the highways , which is unsafe at any speed, because of moose all over the road, you will change your tune!

• NL
    August 01, 2013 - 18:37

It's so easy to judge isnt Dave... I bet in that split second you would have reacted the same way. How about showing some compassion for someone who could have very easily lost his life!

• Be moose alert
    August 01, 2013 - 18:19

The stretch of tch between howley and Hampden turnoff desperately needs a moose fence that is a very dangerous stretch of road at night

• Captain Jack
      August 01, 2013 - 22:08

Fencing is going to be the main answer to all these horrific accidents. There are too many moose on our roads and are taking away and changing too many lives. I truly wish the driver my best and I pray fencing gets done!!

• DAVE
    August 01, 2013 - 11:21

sorry, the moose was not the cause of the accident, the driver was. I understand it is human nature, but as a class 1 driver, I was trained NOT to swerve to avoid moose but to slow down, stay in my lane and take the hit. damage would have been much less. by swerving, he put himself in danger

• Jillian
      August 01, 2013 - 19:02

It wasn't the swerving that caused the driver to lose control. He hit the moose and the moose went up under the truck, under the steering. Once the steering was gone, the driver no longer had control. I know this driver personally and can vouch for his excellent safety track record. He's been driving for many years. Freak accidents happen. Things happen fast and you can't predict what will happen, especially when moose are involved.

• steve
      August 01, 2013 - 19:19

He hit the moose and killed it. He didn't swerve to avoid it. if you're a class 1 driver you'd think you'd have the decency to shut your trap and wish the driver and family well.

• Blunt
    August 01, 2013 - 10:53

Yes.........it is always those cold, calculating, serial killing moose that are at fault. They lie in wait in the alders just thinking....."BOY I'm getting the next beer truck that comes by, I'm thirsty"..........