St. John’s mayor talks Canada Post with union reps

St. John’s Mayor Dennis O’Keefe met with representatives from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) this morning to discuss Canada Post’s proposal to eliminate home mail delivery in urban centres and raise the cost of sending mail.

(From left) St. John's Mayor Dennis O'Keefe, local Canadian Union of Postal Workers president Mike McDonald, and chief shop steward Craig Dyer. — Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

The mayor told reporters after the meeting that the federal government should view mail delivery as a core service. He said eliminating home delivery will have a significant impact on many people in the city.

Local CUPW president Mike McDonald said his union has offered suggestions to management about ways to create efficiencies and save money for Canada Post, but those recommendations have generally been met with silence.

Craig Dyer, chief shop steward for the local union, said mail carriers are being forced to work overtime at a great cost to the Crown agency. He said creating new positions could handle the extra deliveries at a reduced cost to Canada Post.

CUPW will hold a public meeting on Jan. 7 at St. Theresa's parish hall in St. John’s.

Organizations: Canada Post, Crown agency, Canada Post.CUPW

Comments

Comments

• david s,
    December 23, 2013 - 19:50

soon as I hear or see the words "creating new positions could handle the extra deliveries at a reduced cost to Canada Post" from a union official makes my me think that there must be a santa after all!.

• Bern
    December 21, 2013 - 11:50

Why is GFW Council not making the withdrawal of door to door postal services a big issue? Very disappointing.

• Arlette
    December 21, 2013 - 09:26

Great public relations op for our Mayor - to show support for Canada Post workers. But realistically, he won't be able to affect any change whatsoever as regards changes to mail delivery. It's our federal gov't calling the shots on this one.

• frozen_hoser
    December 21, 2013 - 02:17

Cmon...give your head a shake. We've had these superboxes for years and they are only a few steps from your home. Why should the rest of us pay for gold-plated services for a select few ? Are you willing to pay more taxes for it to continue ? A tempest in a teapot !

• jeff
    December 20, 2013 - 21:40

i wonder was the same concern and effort shown when they started to replace the pony express.Ignorance usually stands in the way of progress

• Duffy
    December 20, 2013 - 15:55

This is the same guy that moans and groans about the government not paying him taxes and now he supports keeping them - what a two-faced political BS statement - in my opinion. He needs to go! go! go! St. Johns needs a NEW Mayor! Closing the Postal Offices......It is a good idea instead of wasting our tax dollar on stupid home deliveries.

• Hey Doc Clear the Sidewalks
    December 20, 2013 - 15:53

Citizens of St. John's and mail carriers would appreciate our sidewalks being cleared. Even more imoortant when seniors and the disabled have to get to mail superboxes.

• Mr. Rogers
    December 20, 2013 - 12:04

I love the community mailboxes! ... gives me an excuse to have a little stroll up the road, meet my neighbors, reminisce about how churlish the letter carriers used to be. And now, if I miss a parcel delivery, I don't have to travel about 2km to a Shopper's Drug Mart to retrieve it. And the price of stamps increasing? Why, I haven't bought one in about two years! So, in conclusion, I'm delighted with it all! :)

• Jim
    December 20, 2013 - 11:13

I am already on the super mail boxes, I hate it. They should keep mail carries. This is a REAL need and core service as the Mayor has stated

• pete
      December 21, 2013 - 07:57

I am assuming the milk man that delivered milk door to door was essential service also. Old people and babies would not get their milk. I am very pro union but I think their fighting a losing battle.