Geoff Stirling dead at 92

Josh
Josh Pennell

Geoff Stirling

Newfoundland radio and television pioneer, Geoff Stirling, has passed away at the age of 92.

NTV's news director Mark Dwyer confirmed for The Telegram that Stirling died at his home in Motion about 11:00 pm Saturday night.

Stirling was the founder of NTV, OZ-FM and The Newfoundland Herald.

Comments

Comments

• BEN STACEY
    December 26, 2013 - 22:23

condolences to the family and all nfld'ers...we lost one of our greatest citizens

• Michelle Francis (Nee: Cofield)
    December 25, 2013 - 12:44

My condolences go out to the Stirlings at this difficult time. Geoff Sr. was always full of life and never missed an opportunity to remind me ,on the rare occasions that we met, that we had youth on our side and that as young people we can achieve anything...and he meant it. Jesse I know you'll miss your grandfather - but he has set in you an internal compass that will always guide you. He trained and guided you well and was very proud of you.

• Carmel Whittle
    December 24, 2013 - 11:40

I just heard of Geoff Stirling's passing. Geoff was an extraordinary person. He believed in the human spirit of all. That our journeys here on Earth were and continue to be to better ourselves and others living life honestly. I had the priviledge of singing for Geoff

• Mickey Michael
    December 23, 2013 - 19:50

No one will ever know the many good deeds done in secret by Geoff Stirling , deeds of kindness and compassion, done quietly, without fanfare, done without anyone ever knowing. Sometimes the people he helped were surprised when they found out who he was. If you were one of those people then a tear probably came to your eyes upon hearing the news of his death. Even as I write this comment I can hardly keep back my own tears.

• Jenny Pelley
    December 23, 2013 - 10:01

I had the honor of working closely with this beautiful man for a number of years. It is rare to find the qualities in a personality that Mr. Stirling possessed. His intelligence was only surpassed by his generosity and humbleness. And when he smiled at you.....well, you could not help but feel 10 feet high and rising. Jenny Pelley

• Jenny Pelley
    December 23, 2013 - 10:01

• Blair Brookfield
    December 23, 2013 - 04:25

Mr. Stirling was a true Newfoundlander and a great one. I used to love watching NTV in the wee hours of the morning when Geoff was in charge of programing. Crazy,yet insightful stuff. He was one cool cat.

• Bob Tuttle
    December 22, 2013 - 22:39

R.I.P. Geoff. Good Bye Capt. Nfld. Godspeed.

• Bob Tuttle
    December 22, 2013 - 22:38

R.I.P. Geoff. Good Bye Capt. Nfld. Godspeed.

• p earle
    December 22, 2013 - 17:36

A free intellect in communion with spirit who's creative output sprung from the source of purest energy. Jeff's spirit will never , as many people say, RIP because his dynamic and beautiful soul will always adapt, and change to absorb the changes that is the essence of the eternal universe. Your friend phil.

• Barbara Hefford
    December 22, 2013 - 17:08

So sorry to hear of your loss!