Harbour Grace takes steps to fill staffing void

Melissa Jenkins

Questions persist about why senior employees abruptly left their jobs

There were obvious moments of tension in the chamber at the Harbour Grace Town Hall Jan. 29 during the regular council meeting.

The anticipated gathering, which hosted some 20 residents, seven councillors and three town employees, was hyped to offer answers to a staffing crisis facing the town that unfolded Jan. 22. Two newly hired management employees left their positions without notice, and the council had not given comment up until the meeting.

Jennifer Janes was the facilities manager at the S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium, while Ashley Janes was the chief administrative officer, prior to their resignations.

An unusual order of events saw Coun. Gord Stone stand to speak before Mayor Terry Barnes could conclude his welcome address.

Stone requested to add some new topics to the agenda that he would like to see discussed, including what to do about hiring a new chief administrative officer and stadium facilities manager. Barnes said it would be discussed during new business.

Some movement made

When the meeting reached the “new business” portion on the agenda, Stone introduced several motions on what he believed should be done to replace the vacant positions.

In his first motion, Stone recommended to reactivate the list of names from former applicants for chief administrative officer, which were put on file when Ashley took the position.

Coun. Kathy Tetford, who chairs the human resources committee, made it known she was strongly against the motion, calling, “nay” when voting. It passed with a vote of 6-1.

The second motion made by Stone was to consider internal employees for the position of stadium manager. If one could not be found, the former applications, which Jennifer was selected from, would also be reactivated. This passed unanimously.

When speaking with Tetford after the meeting, she would not explain her vote against the first motion, but suggested she will speak publicly in the coming weeks.

Sources have indicated there is some conflict between councillors, including about how the resignation situation should have been dealt with. It is unknown at this time if that contributed to Tetford’s vote.

The council held a privileged meeting after the public meeting to discuss the motions, with Stone explaining the plan is to have decisions made quickly.

Meanwhile, former stadium manager Maureen Maher will take on the role again, temporarily, while another manager is being sought.

Still cannot comment

Many of the attendees didn’t leave with what they came for — an answer to why two women in high profile positions would unceremoniously tender their resignations.

Deputy Mayor Sonia Williams gave a response to why council could not comment any further at this time, noting she wants to be open with the public.

“Council is not being tight-lipped about the situation,” she announced. “There is a due process, and right now it is in the hands of a solicitor.”

More open positions

Council confirmed in the meeting there are other job positions available with the town, an office position and a stadium worker position.

The stadium position became available when a unionized employee was removed from his position. Sources say unauthorized use of the stadium in December was the reason behind termination.

It was said in the meeting that legal advice was being sought. Tetford confirmed it's standard procedure when an employee in a union is diciplined or terminated.

Melissa.jenkins@tc.tc

Geographic location: S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium

Comments

Comments

• easter sunday group
    February 05, 2014 - 16:04

to tradition....i find it so disturbing that you see nothing wrong with your statement that you guys have been doing this for decades at no charge we have learned. where did this sense of entitlement come from....can anyone in town form such a group for free ice time next year.....i think i'll call our group the easter sunday group. ah but you say there's more to it than that... isn't it true that you have to have an influencial pusher with contacts etc. and you need a blind eyed manager or one thats a push over and powers that be... that thinks its ok to give this certain special group free access to the town facility. I wonder what makes groups special... to gain such valuable access. Do they have a unique citizenship card or maybe its a blood type that is so rare it's owners have to be catered to and pampered. surely mommy and daddy will save me if I slip and fall...they always do. who wants to grow up anyway.?????

• Good Friday group
      February 05, 2014 - 22:28

If you get Easter Sunday I want Good Friday, sounds like a great plan! ha ha I agree with you 100%, I believe this is a simple case of an individual(s) standing up and not being a puppet to their greedy ways, so after trying to enforce some rules, without any assistance, she resigned! I would probably do the exact same thing, who would want to work under those circumstances? They can't even keep their story straight, "we paid", "we didn't pay", "we were allowed in", "unauthorized access".... I'm sure names of the 30 odd players would be interesting, no conflicts there I am sure.... Right...

• Big deal
      February 06, 2014 - 15:23

Good Friday Group!! To Quote yourself "They can't even keep their story straight, "we paid", "we didn't pay", "we were allowed in", "unauthorized access" This is how your post is flawed. You say they can not keep their story straight. However their story has not been told. You are basing your story on unverified anonymous statements made by people who like my self have very little to do with the current situation. Now to set the record straight I have participated in this event in the past(Not in the last few years). I realize if a community is to move away from the past unsanctioned events such as this one will probably not survive. But to place the blame for our councils current situation on this group would be an outright mistake. From talking to people directly involved with the group this is what I know. During the aftermath of the event member of the group meet with council and stadium made right from wrong and moved forward. This was a dead issue as far as stadium management was concerned. Like I said I have not played in this event in a few years but many of the people who were involved this year were around when I played. Good Friday group you said you would like to see the names of the 30 players??? what do you mean by conflicts? I know for certain that their are good community people that were involved at that event. People who volunteer in the community. People who have probably coached your kids at some point. People your kids look up to. People who do more than make anonymous posts on sites just as these. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MAKE HR. GRACE A BETTER PLACE.

• Yeah Right!
      February 11, 2014 - 15:03

Bahaha..." people your kids look up to." ...... My children do not look up to a group of men who are so full of themselves that they would break and enter, vandalize, and cover up the facts rather than pay for ice time. It really would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic!

• looking for the truth
    February 03, 2014 - 15:21

I'd like to know the truth about the so called threats made to the stadium managers reputation and treats made to the stadium itself. Are they true? these seem to be much more serious than the stadium breakin...for sure they are connected some how. any one got any info on this?

• Hope you're happy
    February 03, 2014 - 15:16

I hope you're happy. You guys got away with breaking and entering because the town won't charge you.. And that poor man was fired. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Isayah D.T. Ruth
    February 03, 2014 - 11:35

Everyone knows about the privileged few who gained unauthorized access to the stadium on new years day....but what about the follow up. Were the police called ? What was the result. Were the threats to the stadium managers career and to the stadium facilities reported to the Police...If not why not? All the councilors were aware of these. Did they not care about the personnel involved? Did they not even care about the stadium itself possibly being damaged. Why have they been sitting on that for over 2 weeks now. What is being hid here?. Is it being hushed up because of who made the threats or is it because certain councilors or their relatives were involved some how. or is it both? we want answers now... stop hiding behind foolish lines about legal consultation. CRIMES WERE COMMITTED AND THREATS WERE MADE. ALL COUNCIL SHOULD BE SCREAMING BLUE MURDER RIGHT NOW but they are not. The poor girls never had a chance. The whole works should be ashamed of themselves instead of going around jockeying for any new positions if they can be forced to arise....so so so sad...what a tribe

• Interested
    February 01, 2014 - 10:18

With all do respect, I understand and appreciate tradition. Tradition at times (especially within a community setting) needs to change to reflect and respect what the goals and the future plans are within the community. This is a community facility where equal access should be available to all and not certain user groups within the community. There are certain policies put into place at recreation facilities (all across the country). The town of Harbour Grace is planning for new regional facility and I would like to think that respect for these policies and equal access to all users will be top priority.

• roger
    January 31, 2014 - 19:11

Katy tefford will not get elected next time around. Roger that

• Wanda Mahaney
    January 31, 2014 - 15:53

As a concerned citizen of Harbour Grace I, along with my friends & family would like to know the story behind the scenes here! I agree with Sonia Williams when she says she wants to be open with the public. It is a must and now would be a better time than ever! They're all gone mad around here! First a very well-known, hard-working, dedicated man, who worked at the S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium for over 25 years gets fired! That's right... just gets the boots! A union member... Gets fired without a WRITTEN notice, not to mention a suspension.... and then, right behind him the new stadium manager quits! Her side kick "last name connection" quits too, Rumors swarm the town about people refusing to work and walking out, and our new mayor getting the boots... and many more, the list is endless! Oh yeah, and people picking up jobs without anything be advertised on Service Canada's job bank, or even on a piece of paper stuck up in the window! LIKE REALLY THOU! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Well on behalf of my community, WE WANT TO KNOW WHATS GOIN ON HERE! and we demand that all problems get resolved! I would also like to know why positions become available in this town and nobody knows about them unless the person hired, is connected to those already employed by the Town of Harbour Grace. My personal resume has been at the Town of Harbour Grace office since I worked in the office, as part of my studies at Keyin College. Why is it that I can't even get an interview? If there is an office position available then why haven't my resume attracted their attention? Guess it's all about who ya knows!

• Walter Linthorne
    January 31, 2014 - 15:04

my understanding the job has to be posted again in order for the town to hire, if not the town can be suied . They better check with municaple affairs befor they do this just to be sure? It would cost the resadents of Harbour Grace a good chunk of cash just saying.

• Walter Linthorne
    January 31, 2014 - 15:00

my understanding the job has to be posted again in order for the town to hire, if not the town can be suied . They better check with municaple affairs befor they do this just to be sure? It would cost the resadents of Harbour Grace a good chunk of cast just saying.

• Boxing day hockey player
    January 31, 2014 - 12:13

Unauthorized use of stadium ! A tradition that I can say 25 plus years ago started , a group of men gettin together at the rink , so you could see the guys while they were home around christmas, a lot counted on it as a highlite of there trip, in a "home of champions" type town things could be "arranged" no harm done, simple friendly , townsfolk thing to do, Right ! Wrong! New manager in place " no exceptions , don't ask. No boxing day skate, well this is we're someone tried to override someone one or slip the hockey players in, I think this is we're local stadium turned in to local news. Hope it gets back to normal .

• Dude
      January 31, 2014 - 19:05

your attitude is exactly why the staduim needs to be run by a seperate board from the Town. Why not just leave the doors open and let anyone use the facility anytime they want.

• The times they are a changing... get over it.
      February 01, 2014 - 11:41

I also take part in a "traditional" hockey game over the holidays; however, it isn't on boxing day and we RENT and PAY for the ice in advance. What gives you the right to have special treatment over anyone else that wants to get "they boys" together for a skate? We also do not damage the facility while we are there. As a resident of Harbour Grace I surely do not appreciate my tax dollars going towards a "free for all" boxing day party for anyone! I must say, my dealings with the ex stadium manager were nothing but professional, sad to see someone that wanted to bring so many good things to our community leaving like this. Perhaps someone from the Cee Bee Stars will manage the facility, they seem to run it anyways! Grow up boys, you got caught! You just admitted to getting slipped in and being exceptions to rules that everyone else has to abide by! I hope it doesn't go back to normal; normal in Harbour Grace is what allowed things like this to happen in the past.

• Still?
      February 03, 2014 - 12:34

Unbelievable. You really don't understand why this is wrong and you're publicy admitting that? You should be doing the exact opposite and apologizing. And I understood that you were allowed to skate on Boxing Day, as long as you paid just like everybody else. So when you refused to pay, you decided to break in anyway. Seriously? And you're defending that? I hope it never goes back to normal. I thought Harbour Grace was trying to improve the stadium and its town so that the DOES NOT grow on Water Street. Not give its town council a bad name. Great job on all parts!

• Still?
      February 03, 2014 - 12:36

• Still?
      February 03, 2014 - 12:38

• Still?
      February 03, 2014 - 12:40

• Still?
      February 03, 2014 - 13:09

Correction ** So that the GRASS does not grow on Water Street.

• Still?
      February 03, 2014 - 13:33

Correction ** So that the GRASS does not grow on Water Street.

• Tradition
      February 04, 2014 - 09:10

"Times are changing" You do not have any of your facts correct. This year I can tell you for certain that the boxing day group had a CONFIRMED rental with management, they were contacted and informed things were to be done differently this year, which was agreed upon by the boxing day group. This however did not occur, as nothing was put into place from management side, dont forget the boxing day group gained legal access to the rink, yes a 20$ lock on a door was damaged, please do not worry, this was paid for by the group so your tax dollars wont be affected. By the way, the boxing day group has always paid for the ice on that day, much more then I am sure you pay on your day of tradition that your group pays. This was no different this year, even tho the proper measures were not in place as was originally thought, the boxing day group paid for every hour they were in the rink. So please do not comment on an issue you clearly know nothing about.

• Move on
      February 04, 2014 - 12:52

"Tradition" you may want to check with your buddies, they seem to have a different story. Regardless of what is posted here the truth will come out, in time, and a lot of people will probably be embarrassed and regret statements they made publicly/ on social media. Until then, how about we all move on. Leave the poor girls alone, I am sure they followed protocol and do not owe anyone besides their employer an explanation as to why they left. We elected the council, let them do their jobs without any interference.

• Tax dollars
      February 04, 2014 - 14:48

I would like to see an official receipt as to the rental time on boxing day was paid for. The fact a lock was broken indicates break and enter. Is there an investigation to this allegation. Who was this group? What pull do they have? Who are they related to? What resident over rides the town council and its employees decision to walk into this facility. I feel bad that a long time employee lost his job over these boys decision to enter without permission. Lots of questions!

• Just Me
      February 05, 2014 - 15:27

To Tradition: Your quote "The boxing day group has always paid for the ice on that day, much more then I am sure you pay on your day of tradition that your group pays" seems to be contradicted by the new article "Details emerge about Boxing Day event at Harbour Grace arena "

• Resident
    January 31, 2014 - 10:40

A move a is a foot to appoint a former fed gov employee, with a nice federal pension to the town administrator. While a retired judge looks after the resignation of the two phenomenal ladies who filled the previous town positions. Yet it is undecided how the vote will turn out as the council seems divided as this very early stage in the 4 year term. Seems councillors want to be mayor and everyone got the right answers