RNC operation sheds light on illegal window tinting

155 tickets issued during nine-day period

RNC

The RNC in the northeast Avalon region issued 155 summary offence tickets for illegal window tinting in vehicles between Feb. 15 and 24, the police force announced today.

What was dubbed “Operation: Window Tint” was an effort to increase enforcement of offences during this period under the Licensing and Equipment Regulations of the Highway Traffic Act and, in particular, targeting window tinting.

Geographic location: Avalon

Comments

Comments

• Tint Guy
    March 05, 2014 - 12:44

Really....This is not what the RNC should be focusing on. How many unsolved B&E are there in this city. How many drivers owe fines for more serious offenses. How about instead of this crap they try to ticket speeders in school zones, people I see every day parked in blue zones without a permit people I smell who use drugs while driving everyday on my way home from work on the ORR.Get these people. I have tint for 2 reasons. Its looks a whole lot better with than without and it blocks sunlight while driving very well. Wanna ban sunglasses too? I have my license and registration as well. How about focus your efforts on finding those who do not because my tint is not hurting anybody.

• saelcove
    March 05, 2014 - 10:30

Police are nothing but government robots

• Shane
    March 04, 2014 - 18:19

I do not leave anything is the open in my car for thieves to spot but perhaps tinting could keep criminals from spotting items they want to steal. tinting is done because it looks good, not to hide what the driver is doing or hide themselves. why does your face need to be seen? if you're in your home doing something illegal do you need to remove your siding and insulation?

• Marshall Art
    March 04, 2014 - 10:37

Operation:Window Tint should continue indefinitely, until drivers get the message that they'll get a ticket if their front, side windows are blacked out. Too bad the RNC can't issue tickets for stupidity. Why would a driver not want to make eye contact with a pedestrian at a crosswalk or with another driver regarding the right-of-way ? Why would a driver not want to be clearly seen by the RNC ? What 's thought to be 'cool' in actual fact is simply stupidity.

• Carl
    March 03, 2014 - 22:45

Why not use that time getting drugs off the street????? This waste of time upsets me. Heroes indeed

• luke
      March 04, 2014 - 10:20

Because police officers are not hired to just remove drugs of the street! Rules are in place for a reason and someone has to enforce them. also if your in trouble (being attacked, etc) who would you call! but according to you they should just be getting drugs off the street! anyone who hates the police move to a corrupt country where there is no police. if you are going to blame anyone blame the government for the budget cuts to the police department. there are more officers retiring then they are hiring

• luke
      March 04, 2014 - 10:21

• Bill
    March 03, 2014 - 21:40

Would the powers that be (ie RNC) describe " illegal window tinting" as it relates to the highway traffic act. And if the answer is something to the effect that Police cannot see inside a car, at what point in the tinting can Police see inside a car.

• john
    March 03, 2014 - 20:01

I would like to know how the level of tint was measured. Did they have an device to measure it or was it a subjective measurement. Either way not worth the effort.

March 03, 2014 - 19:32

It was over nine days people, read the article! And an effort to increase awareness of the Highway Traffic Act which people seem to ignore in this province. To Brian, tinting is not illegal, however, depth of tint can be and certain windows so these alleged police officers you speak of, it might not be a double standard after all.

• Yesby
    March 03, 2014 - 18:17

I'd be happier to see that 100 people were ticketed for snow covering their windows.

• Rob
    March 03, 2014 - 17:34

I agree with this initiative as there are too many drivers trying to hide themselves and probably their illegal activities (cell phone talking and texting) behind the dark glass. More importantly for me, as a lifelong motorcyclist, is the fact that I cannot make eye contact with these folks. One of the safest things you can do to avoid a mishap on two wheels is to make and acknowledge eye contact with car drivers when you are sharing space with them on our overcrowded roads. Blacked out windows often keeps me from doing that and diminishes the time for avoidance manoeuvres if necessary. Very dangerous!

• shane
      March 05, 2014 - 17:34

so basically your saying that sunglasses should be banned as well. you can not make eye contact as they cover them as well. you logic may make sense in a dumbed down version but your radical point is untrue and unfounded.

• Glenn Stockley
    March 03, 2014 - 15:40

While hard drugs can be bought in a half dozen locations within a 500 m radius of R.N.C. headquarters......Hopefully Chief Janes will get priorities straight.

• Yo mama
    March 03, 2014 - 14:49

I am a 100% full fledged "cheerleader" of the RNC, but with the amount of crime in the city this is a complete waste of time and money. Come on folks, please focus on the real issues and keep the island safe.

• You Can't be Serious
    March 03, 2014 - 14:18

Why not use this time doing something more constructive and of better service to the community. Easy job to spot tinted windows. Takes more time actually finding the punks breaking into vehicles and homes. Not impressed.

• Brian
    March 03, 2014 - 13:27

What makes me mad about this is so many of the police officers have it done themselves.All you need to do is go up by the police station and see what I am talking about.I just don;t know why the double standard.