UPDATE: One woman sent to hospital from fire scene

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Blackmarsh Road fire now under control, RNC criminal division investigating

Ice began coating firefighters with the St. John’s Regional Fire Department as they fought against a fire this morning on Blackmarsh Road in St. John’s.

Mist on the periphery of the heavy, targeted spray of water hoses coated some of the 19 firefighters responding to a call reporting smoke from the home. The water froze in the cold temperatures.

The call came in reporting smoke from the house at street number 142 about 8:20 a.m., according to Supt. Don Byrne and firefighters were still on the scene dealing with heavy smoke as of shortly after 9 a.m.

Click here to view related video by Ashley Fitzpatrick

Neighbours told The Telegram one woman was pulled from the home and one ambulance left the scene as Newfoundland Power crews arrived.

Byrne confirmed the woman was taken to hospital and was in serious condition at the time.

“The amount of damage is extensive throughout the home,” Byrne said, noting it extended into the second floor.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Criminal Investigation Division is asking anyone who may have any information in relation to the fire to please contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime

Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). You can also provide information anonymously on the N.L. Crime Stoppers website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.



Telegram photographer Keith Gosse reports dark smoke and flame coming from the building at 9:14 a.m. One woman has been taken to hospital, with paramedics performing CPR as they took her into the ambulance.

Firefighters say the cause has yet to be determined.


Reports from the scene indicate the home is fully engulfed in flame. The Telegram will have more updates on the fire as they become available.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • John
    March 06, 2014 - 08:14

    So this is the third severe fire within a 1km raidus, in less then 3 weeks. That doesn't seem normal to me.

    • Donna Keats McCullough
      March 06, 2014 - 14:10

      Well we know that the fire at Maplewood was not suspicious as it was an electrical recliner being recharged that caused the fire. I would suspect that after these other 2 investigations are complete they will find them not to be suspicious either. Poor wiring, smoking, etc. it will be something like that I hope! I certainly wouldn't want to think that someone is deliberately setting homes on fire and endangering lives. I hope this lady pulls through.