A man suspected of hitting and killing his girlfriend while driving drunk in Airport Heights in St. John’s will wait to hear the Crown’s position on the case before entering a plea.
© Telegram file photo
William Patrick Conway appeared in provincial court today via video link from Her Majesty’s Penitentiary, where he’s in custody.
Defence lawyer Michelle Coady was in the courtroom and told Judge Robert Hyslop that she’s in discussions with Crown prosecutor Jeff Summers, who is still awaiting laboratory reports. Outside court, Coady said that depending on what the Crown has to offer, Conway could enter a plea at the next appearance.
The case was set over until March 24.
Conway has been in custody since his arrest on Oct. 24, 2013 — after he was said to have hit his girlfriend with his car.
The 57-year-old woman’s body was found lying on the road on Firdale Drive, where it’s believed the two had lived together, at around 1:20 a.m. that morning.
Police say Conway was drunk when he got behind the wheel of his vehicle, hit the woman and took off.
Officers picked him up a short time later at the ferry terminal in Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s.
In a previous court appearance, Conway had told reporters the woman’s death was an incident.
Conway is charged with impaired driving causing death, operating a motor vehicle while having a blood-alcohol level over the legal limit causing death, failing to remain at the scene of an accident with another person, failing to remain at the scene of an accident knowing there has been bodily harm and three counts of breaching court orders. Those breaches involve allegations that Conway assaulted Lewis on Aug. 14 of last year.
His lengthy criminal record also includes a charge of leaving the scene of an accident on Feb. 15, 2013, in Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s.