Barry withdraws from leadership

James
James McLeod

PC party leadership candidate Bill Barry has withdrawn from the race.

Bill Barry

In an emailed statement sent to media in the middle of the night, Barry said that he's removing himself from the leadership campaign for a variety of reasons.

He said that after a “rocky start” to the campaign, party insiders were turned off, and in recent weeks, eight cabinet ministers have endorsed his opponent, Frank Coleman.

“As of now not a single member of caucus has seen fit to place support in my direction,” Barry wrote. “I am encouraged to continue but I have to ask ...Why would I and why am I being encouraged?”

He said he wanted to have a campaign of ideas, but the message he's trying to send just isn't being well received.

“Its simply possible that my delivery does not match what people are accustomed to or my message of concern for our future appears to fly in the face of many recent policy decisions. I fully stand behind all my stated positions as a candidate,” Barry wrote.

He said that with everyone against him, it just wasn't worthwhile to stick around.

“It’s less than interesting for me to play against a stacked deck. In private business I could always affect my own odds and I choose this engagement after my short political experience," Barry wrote. "Bottom line; my heart is no longer in this process. I am NOT a status quo guy. Change; renewal and reality need to be the basis of our future Provincial agenda.”

By pulling out of the race, Barry leaves Frank Coleman unopposed in the PC Party leadership campaign, which means that Coleman will be the province's next premier.

The PC party was supposed to hold a convention in St. John's in early July to choose between Coleman and Barry, and in recent weeks, the delegate selection meetings have already started playing out.

It's not clear what exactly happens with the leadership race now.

But Coleman had kind words for Barry in a media statement sent out around noon.

He also acknowledged that Barry's announcement effectively makes him the province's 12th premier.

"While the circumstances of how I will become leader and premier have changed, I am no less humbled by taking on this very important role at a very critical time in our history,” he said in the statement. "I want to earn the trust, respect and support of the PC party and the people of this province. I will spend every day between now and the next provincial election demonstrating that it is the PC party with me as its leader that offers the best choice for the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.”

See full story in Saturday's Telegram.

jmcleod@thetelegram.com Twitter: TelegramJames

Organizations: PC Party

Comments

Comments

• Ron Tizzard
    April 18, 2014 - 08:57

HERE WE GO AGAIN, blatant political interferences, intrusions, and muddying of election processes on the part of a once very esteemed Premier of this province i.e. Danny Williams! WHAT IS IT ABOUT US? What is it about us, as a people, that self-perceived demi-gods i.e. Joey, then John Crosbie, and of-late Danny Williams are permitted to dangle us about like puppets come election-times! Are we really that simple, that politically crippled, unable to make our own decisions! TIME HAS COME SEND DANNY A MESSAGE i.e. Thank you Danny, we can walk on our own, and think for ourselves...relax and enjoy retirement!

• Corporate Psycho
    April 17, 2014 - 17:41

How ironic. Danny Williams will be the demise of the PC Party. Some people just don't when to shut up and go away.

• Guy Incognito
    April 17, 2014 - 16:00

Whomever King Danny does not approve of shall not enter The Kingdom!! Why would Barry want to be part of that train wreck anyway? So his name can be attached in infamy to the rest? Who wants to be Captain of a ship that is about to be decommissioned?

• clay
    April 17, 2014 - 12:13

I THINK WE SHOULD CHANGE THE PC PARTY TO THE WILLIMS PARTY HES STILL RUNNING THE PARTY. WHY ARE THEY SO SCEARD OFF HIM .TEAR DOWN OUR FLAGS. VOTE ANY THING BUT PC IN OTTAWA. THATS WHEN I QUIT VOTEING PC

• VRP
    April 17, 2014 - 11:52

This was a contest between a wet rag soaked with gasoline and one soaked with water. The tories can take some comfort in physics: water evaporates slower than gasoline.

• Herry
    April 17, 2014 - 11:22

So, only coleman is the sole fool from the corruption party ! Hope Newfoundlanders vote for ANYTHING but these idiots !

• Torey Nomore
    April 17, 2014 - 09:57

Reason number 1,245,783 that I cannot vote Tory no-more. Back room deals by the old boys club in the Secret Society known as the Con Party of NL.

• History Lesson
    April 17, 2014 - 09:42

Why is it no PC's want to be Premier? Dunderdale was only supposed to be interim, she got the job because no one wanted it except for poor old Cabana, and look where the PC's wound up. If you do not learn from the mistakes of the past you are bound to repeat them. Or put another way: to reoeat an action you know has failed expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

• Mary
    April 17, 2014 - 09:25

@ Virginia Waters, your wrong about the PC's...LOL..Its the Zebra party, sooner or the later, you will come to your since. Hope this take place before you walk into a wall..LOL

• Virginia Waters
    April 17, 2014 - 09:08

There is now nothing to stop the party from ratifying Coleman's appointment as party leader - and hence premier. No need to wait until July. Do it immediately so the clock can start ticking on the next election (no more than a year after he becomes premier). The fast we have that election, the faster we can get rid of the most secretive, arrogant, self-serving and incompetent government we have had the days of Joe Smallwood.

• John Adams
    April 17, 2014 - 08:20

Mr. Barry has fully realized that he wasn't Danny's man and if you're not Danny's man in this falling Regressive Conservative party of Newfoundland and Labrador, you're not going anywhere. Frank Coleman is the new leader, soon to be the new Premier and, shortly after that, the new Leader of the Official Opposition. As long as the PC party continues to allow Danny the Mouth to control every aspect of the party, it will go nowhere but down. Most ex-premiers offer occasional opinion, sober thought, if you will, but this egoistic has-been still bullies all around him and, it seems, everyone in the government is scared to death of him. Running around Victoria Waters in his Hummer, taking people to the polling booths, showed just how pompous and arrogant this man is. (The news today on his baby, Muskrat Falls, isn`t very rosy, either. So all the best, Bill Barry. Let Frank Coleman be the fool.

• Irene
      April 17, 2014 - 09:05

Agree wholeheartedly.!!!!!

• Jimmy B. Rideout
    April 17, 2014 - 08:14

will my thoughts on this is, did Bill Barry think that all those plant works .. fishermen that the Barry Group put out of work over the years due to all the plants that they bought up and then closed down was going to actually vote for him

• Little Man Dan
    April 17, 2014 - 08:05

Doubters beware; how much more proof do you need that I'm still in charge? I pick the premiers of this banana republic and I still run the show.

• concern
    April 17, 2014 - 08:05

former priemer danny williams cost danny breen is seat by stupid comments he made hes doing more harm then good now barry whos next. newfoundland wake up . williams is a bully

• Little Man Dan
    April 17, 2014 - 08:03

• concern
    April 17, 2014 - 08:02

• concern
    April 17, 2014 - 07:59

• Linda
    April 17, 2014 - 07:49

There something wrong with this picture. Its seem Mr Barry was a plant for the liberals, He was going though the motion has if he was seeking the PC's leader. Just to walk away, to try and tear the pcs down, But in the future running for the liberals. Just saying

• Corporate Psycho
      April 17, 2014 - 20:49

Do you wear a tin foil hat?

• Maurice E. Adams
    April 17, 2014 - 06:59

"Change; renewal and reality need to be the basis of our future Provincial agenda.” ............... Agree fully ---- and that is not the agenda of the PC Party............ While I have never agreed much with an industrial model for the fishery, his decision to withdraw from the predetermined PC race is a major loss for the PC Party (and under the circumstances, I think the right one)........... His thoughts on most all of the province's big issues were right on target (but obviously, Mr. Barry thought he was in a party that put the province, rather than party insiders, first). Mr. Barry has no doubt learned a great lesson in NL politics.