Diver taken to hospital following incident in St. John’s harbour

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A 28-year-old man is in hospital today following an underwater incident in St. John’s harbour at the New Dock property.

— Photo by Rhonda Hayward/The Telegram

The RNC says officers were called to the scene about 12:14 p.m. today to a report of an unresponsive male.

The man, a diver, had been working underwater when the incident happened and was removed from the water.

The nature of the work he was doing has not been confirmed at this point, however, the RNC says he was not welding and appears not to have been hit by any object.

The man was conscious when being transported to hospital from the site.

While the man was apparently in the water by himself, other workers were monitoring him on shore and he had a camera on his helmet.

Occupational Health and Safety has been called to the scene to determine the cause of the incident.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • nick proctor
    April 25, 2014 - 03:57

    It is essential that OSHA prosecute contractors if the dive logs are altered or destroyed as was the case in their recent investigation of the death of Earl Guidry in Louisiana. Penalties should be a prison sentence for both management and supervisor if ACOPS have been ignored. A $7,000 fine, as was the case with Earl Guidry, is derisory and shows a complete contempt by OSHA for the lives of divers and acts as no deterrent to other companies working with unsafe practices!

    • nick proctor
      May 03, 2014 - 12:51

      My apologies for a grave mistake in the above post! There was no alteration of any logbooks or dive logs whatsoever!