Members of the Town of Harbour Grace council are no longer waiting for a response from the provincial government about the proposed stadium, but they say it is because they are starting to push back.
© Photo by Melissa Jenkins
Harbour Grace Mayor Terry Barnes
Today (May 1), after months of unanswered questions, more details may become available.
At noon, Mayor Terry Barnes and Municipal Affairs Minister Steve Kent will meet in St. John’s to discuss the future plans of the facility, which has been delayed numerous times since last September.
Barnes said during a regular council meeting last night he contacted Kent’s office earlier this week, but he was out of the province. The earliest date they could discuss the situation was today.
Most councillors have voiced their frustration with the delays.
Deputy Mayor Sonia Williams explained she had been contacted by numerous residents, but had few answers to give them. She wants the process sped up.
“This is a facility that every member (of council) wanted, and we still don’t have a sod turned,” she stated. “We have to keep pushing.”
Coun. Tony McCarthy is normally quite reserved, but the situation has left him aggravated.
“My patience has run out with the new arena,” McCarthy asserted.
He then said he would go to other media, including open-line radio shows about the situation, if answers weren’t soon available.
Kent has agreed to speak with The Compass after the meeting.
More to come.