Police make arrest in conncetion to Carbonear break-ins

Nicholas Mercer

The Trinity Conception RCMP have made an arrest in connection with the recent break and enters in Carbonear.

RCMP

On May 27, police apprehended a 26-year-old male after an investigation that lasted for several weeks.

Charges have not been formally laid and he has not been identified.

The male has been released from custody with promise to appear at provincial court in Harbour Grace in July. Then he will face four charges of possession of property obtained by crime under section 354(1)(a) of the Criminal Code.

He will also face a charge of possession of cannabis marijuana under Section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, which was seized at the time of his arrest.

A quantity of of the stolen property has been recovered.

nmercer@cbncompass.ca

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Carbonear

Comments

Comments

• Just a mom....
    June 04, 2014 - 15:39

I feel sorry for these parents. My Son was confronted and questioned by the RCMP. The color of a vehicle was pointed to the same color as ours. He was watched and pointed at and we where to. I could not bring myself somedays to let him drive to school. I feared for him as I feared for my family. I was relieved when they where close to catching all involved. But I also felt for the parents. In the few weeks it took our RCMP to do there job was the longest weeks of our lives. The comments on Facebook that linked our vehicle is still in cyber space. The pics that where taken while my son was at school of our vehicle is probably still on someone's phone. The haunting feeling that we had of our son being wrongly accused was in the top of our minds. We where removed as friends on Facebook to people we knew a long time. We did get an apology but people let the RCMP do there job. I as a mom was in a tough place for a while so therefore I can say how sorry I feel for the moms involved they are still your children . It don't make a wrong a right .

• Pointing my finger
    June 02, 2014 - 22:15

To unknown: Yeah I'm sure there are more people involved... His girlfriend.

• vigilante concerns
      June 03, 2014 - 15:35

@ pointing my finger. The "innocent" I speak of are the other residents..the "innocent" residents that these crime fighting hero wannabes went "pointing their finger" at. There were others that were humiliated, bullied and harassed during their witch hunt. I believe a public apology from VIGILANTE'S R US is in order.This is a small town where reputation is everything! I too am pleased that someone has been CHARGED but until he is found guilty, Pointing My Finger...he is "innocent"!

• @unknown
    June 02, 2014 - 22:12

It's been made very public via social media posts that the persons involved are tipping to the police (a relatives husband, actually) and are being compensated for their information. It's pretty sad that the police will consider this an appropriate means of obtaining information. Well, it's not a secret anymore. It's also no secret that the person who has been arrested has been involved with hard drugs in the past. I don't think anyone should be attacking anyone over all this, but there's no harm in telling the police information you have come across to help in the case. Giving information to the police is not harassment. Props to the homeowners who basically did all the investigative work.

• Duffy
    May 31, 2014 - 21:19

The victims solved the case and the RCMP came in and arrested the guy. They should take lessons from the victims on how to solve crimes.

• Unknown
    May 30, 2014 - 18:20

People have to realize that just because this individual was charged with stolen property,doesn't mean he entered anyone's houses and stoled property. This stolen property was probably passed around a dozen times before it ended up with this person. Also there is no evidence that it was done for drugs, people you have got to watch what you say before you get yourself into trouble. Rumours can really hurt innocent people , I'm sure there is a lot more people involved then this individual

• Unknown
    May 29, 2014 - 21:09

Nowhere in this article does it state that this is the individual or individuals that actually committed the crime and stole the items. This could be a 26 year old, who smokes a bit of weed, that purchased stolen property and is now being charged for it. As well, just because he had a bit of marijuana on him doesn't necessarily mean that he is a drug addict. I find it sad how quick people are to judge others. Read the article properly!

• vigilante concerns
    May 29, 2014 - 13:50

My question now is, is the vigilante group who decided to take the law into their own hands, trampling around the town, bullying and harassing private citizens going to apologize for their intrusive behavior to the innocent. I understand the feelings of invasion and fear, I had my house broken into 3 times and the law always prevailed. My thoughts on this group is there is no difference of what you were doing playing private investigator than the thief who invaded your privacy. Harassment is also a crime. Last time I checked the mafia is alive and doing well in cities like new york and Chicago! By allowing this behavior I think we opened up a brand new can of worms, every time a crime is committed in the town against a resident, after this point, there will be lynch mobs with bats and a procession of cars parading around playing policeman in our quiet town. This is not Hollywood! For god sakes do anyone else see the ridiculousness is this act.. and asking what is being done to stop it?

• Pointing my finger
      June 02, 2014 - 22:19

Who's the "innocent"??? This man has been CHARGED with possession of stolen property. Please, tell me how he is innocent?? Can't wait until his name shows up on the court docs in July.

• Sad...
    May 28, 2014 - 23:53

Sad that all this had to happen. Good relationships surely over because of all of this, all because of drug addicted young people. Only hope is for them to be locked up and forced treatment. It's sad, but being released from custody is probably the worst thing the police could have done for this individual…i'm sure he doesn't have many friends anymore.

• Tara
    May 28, 2014 - 23:23

Because you had stolen property you weren't aware of does not mean you broke into any ones house .. This doesn't make since

• Steve
      May 29, 2014 - 20:29

What don't make SENSE is how can you not be aware that you have stolen property. If a house is broken into and a person is in possession of the goods it makes sense they would be in question I would think.

• Concerned Resident
      May 30, 2014 - 09:32

So this guy has been arrested with 4 counts of possession of stolen property, and he was not aware he had stolen property, he better smarten up, the dumb ones don't do well in the pen.

• Seriously?
      May 30, 2014 - 13:33

@Tara: You can't honestly believe that this man never obtained the property through breaking in to innocent peoples comes, can you? So you're saying that this man had a bag of stolen jewellery or goods, and never wondered how they came into his hands? Jeese…you need to get your head checked.

• Another Victim
      June 02, 2014 - 06:00

4 different counts of possession. Get your head out of your a$$ Tara. There is too much of this going on in this area and the culprits get off with it because they say "they didn't know it was stolen". My thief said the same thing and our cops didn't even press charges even though he was well known to them!!

• Another Victim
      June 02, 2014 - 18:31

• wonderer
    May 28, 2014 - 16:04

I hope Angela got her Ring back !!

• Big rats, HUGE rats
    May 28, 2014 - 15:45

All of Carbonear knows this man's name, he's the supplier of information to the police in the area...a.k.a a RAT. About time the rat got caught in a trap. No need to announce who this person is, the citizens of Carbonear know it well...and so do the RCMP. Too bad his girlfriend can't keep her mouth shut! There should be more to come on this case...

• Not So Quiet Observer
    May 28, 2014 - 14:44

Let me guess, it was the same dirt bag that the property owners confronted last week?

• vigilante concerns