UPDATE: 'Republic of Doyle' ending next season, will go out on high note: Hawco

Executive producer, star says production team made decision, not CBC, that Season 6 would be show’s last

Jake Doyle had his private investigator’s licence revoked earlier this year in New York.
That’s where, says "Republic of Doyle" executive producer and star Allan Hawco, the show’s production team decided Season 6 will be its last.

The stars of CBC’s “Republic of Doyle.” — Submitted photo

“I’m kinda getting a bit emotional even talking about it. Today is the day that it’s kind of sinking in that it’s real,” said Hawco, speaking from Toronto, where the official announcement was made as part of CBC’s preview for its upcoming programming season.

“Since last year, we were in plans to wrap it up, just for a number of reasons. No. 1, we wanted to make sure we went out on a note that we weren’t over-extending our welcome, in terms of story.”

Season 5 was originally planned to be a shortened run of 10 episodes, said Hawco, as Season 6 will be. “But last year, CBC needed us to bulk up our order to 16 for content purposes,” he said. “Of course, I was going to do whatever was needed, so we did the 16, but it’s a lot of strenuous work in my world and I was kind of burning out. … It got to the point where we felt we’d explored as many of the possibilities as we could with these characters, at least in a series context. We didn’t want people to be looking at our show and thinking, ‘Wow, when is this show going to be over?’”

Early on, said Hawco, the production team felt five seasons would be ideal, but when the fifth season came around, they felt they had more story to tell.

Recent budget cuts at the CBC blamed on a loss of hockey revenue were “absolutely not” a factor in the decision, says Hawco, but he acknowledged CBC might not have ordered a seventh season had the show decided to continue.

“CBC has not told us that they don’t want to do 'Republic of Doyle' anymore,” he said. “Maybe that would be a problem in Season 7, but I didn’t want to wait around and see if that was the case.”

Hawco — along with Take the Shot Productions co-producers Rob Blackie, Perry Chafe and John Vatcher — were in New York for an annual end-of-season retreat earlier this year to plan for the upcoming sixth season.

“CBC hadn’t decided to order us for Season 6 yet, but we decided in that moment that if we went to a Season 6, that this would be our last,” said Hawco, who said the decision wasn’t made lightly, and he credited the work of the cast and crew, and the support of fans in Newfoundland and Labrador and across Canada, for the show’s successful run.

“It’s been the most glorious opportunity that I’ve ever had in my life. Professionally, it’s the most satisfying thing that I’ve ever touched, and I don’t regret a minute of it,” he said. “But you can only sprint for so long. Eventually you just run out of steam.”

dmaceachern@thetelegram.com, Twitter: @TelegramDaniel

••••

(Earlier story)

Season 6 final run for 'Republic of Doyle'

CBC is expected to announce later today that the next “Republic of Doyle” season will be its last.

Toronto-based television columnist Bill Brioux wrote on his blog today that the announcement will be made as part of CBC’s preview of the 2014-15 season, later today in Toronto. According to Brioux, Season 6 of the show will be 10 episodes, down from 16 in Season 5. Brioux says he confirmed the final season with Allan Hawco, the show’s executive producer and star, and said the show’s ratings had slipped against stiff competition on other networks after a move to Sunday nights last season, but still remained a strong draw for CBC.

Recent budget cuts at the CBC in the wake of a permanent loss of hockey revenue have the national broadcaster moving away from series like “Republic of Doyle,” suggests Brioux, who said Hawco and his production company will develop other projects to take advantage of the industry that has grown under the show.

More to come.

Organizations: CBC

Geographic location: Toronto

Comments

Comments

• SJW
    October 29, 2014 - 23:23

It’s the final season of RoD and it’s STILL focused on Sloan?! As a fan, I am extremely disappointed. I fell in love with Jake, Leslie, Mal, Rose, Des, and Tinny. Yet beloved characters like Tinny and Rose are literally brushed aside to make more screen time for an underdeveloped character that is ultimately just a bad plot device. This is the last we’ll ever see of RoD and I’m not seeing any of the characters that made this a remarkable show.

• Bex Gazzola
    October 05, 2014 - 03:43

I watch this show from Australia and i have loved every moment of it. Its a sad day to find out they are pulling the pin. At least we will get a great ending.

• Bex Gazzola
    October 05, 2014 - 03:42

• Joanne and Luc Mayer
    September 04, 2014 - 10:43

Love this show! Our whole family watches it - my son and his new bride are currently visiting St. John's on their honeymoon because of the wonderful scenery and interesting people depicted on the show...way to go Canadians for creating such a great watch!

• D Greer
    August 16, 2014 - 14:08

This is Magnum P.I. done in Newfoundland...way to go Allan Hawco - I will miss the show.

• Jill Watson
    July 31, 2014 - 23:00

My husband and I started to watch Republic of Doyle on Netflix-we had no idea that it was Canadian made-and featured on CBC. We have watched all that we can and are anxious for more!!! We live in Alberta and found it most interesting to see the Eastern coast and hear the accents. The story line if the BEST of any shows we have ever seen. Today's TV shows are so dark and depressing-but not Republic of Doyle-hats off to the creativity from CANADIANS-get with it CBC and advertize these things to us the Canadians-this is what we want to see!!!

• Lloyd Burton
    July 10, 2014 - 15:00

well bys I am at a loss for words the show was a slice of heaven for me. I looked forward to it every week. Being from Newfoundland it was nice to see the scenery and hear the dialects. It made me homesick and really appreciate where I came from. Just want to say it was a blessing. and good job to all people involved in the Republic of Doyle project. `Cause Dats how newfies row`` cheers guys

• Ann Gallant
    May 31, 2014 - 09:19

Love everything and everyone in the show sure will miss it,

• Herry
    May 30, 2014 - 10:08

Doesn't the cbc have a program called, " Hockey Night in Toronto " ? As usual, I will NOT be watching. Most of their programs are useless anyway !

• Anna
    May 30, 2014 - 08:37

Looking forward to seeing your next project, I'm glad you are going to finish the show off in a high note. Congratulations to all.

• JRM
    May 30, 2014 - 07:11

Doyle did a great job of increasing NL's profile across Canada. St. John's looked great in that show. However, the fact that it was so heavily subsidized by governments is a sticking point. Perhaps the money can be used for something more appropriate now.

• DVR
    May 29, 2014 - 21:52

I saw a bit of an episode yesterday, the one with the "smokin hot naked misses" home massage theme, and the servered hand on ice packs in a digital lock-box. Nothing wrong with a nice hot misses stripped off on TV, the campy "private dick" stuff won't be missed as much though, can't keep that up forever. 6 years guys. Look at it in perspective. That is a good run, these days. Seeing Things! Louis Ciccone. That was the best Canadian show, next to The Beachcombers. It ran 6 seasons. Gordon Pinsent was in that one too. Way to go DOYLE CREW! Great run.

• Kevin
    May 29, 2014 - 14:50

Finally something done right. Getting rid of what does not belong and not wasting tax payers money on that USELESS program

• Jenny
    May 29, 2014 - 14:38

Some people have been wondering when the show was going to be over since season 2. Amazing production work but the worst written show in history. So, so badly written and not to mention sexist at every turn.

• ROSE TRAVERSE
    May 29, 2014 - 13:44

Loved the show Republic of Doyle .,every week my husband and I would watch it ,also my children and their families we can,t believe this is the last season for it .going to miss it

• ROSE TRAVERSE
    May 29, 2014 - 13:43

• Jackie Barrett
    May 29, 2014 - 12:36

With the CBC getting rid of another highly popular or acclaimed television show like "Republic of Doyle", not only is the show being "Street Legal-ed", but CBC are also not learning from their mistakes. In fact, CBC has a history of getting rid of high quality shows such as "Street Legal", "Degrassi High", "Riverdale", "Royal Canadian Air Farce", "George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight", and now "Republic of Doyle". Maybe if CBC kept high quality programs instead of getting rid of them, more people will be willing to watch shows from this public broadcaster. Due to "Republic of Doyle's" popularity, perhaps another television network should take over the show such as CTV, NTV, Shaw/Global, or Netflix. Furthermore, just as Rob Wells, John Paul Tremblay, and Michael Smith took over "Trailer Park Boys", Allan Hawco should do the same and buy the rights to "Republic of Doyle". No more cuts to high quality programs, CBC.

• Cathy
      May 30, 2014 - 10:03

Did you read the article? The CBC never cancelled it, Hawco made the decision to end it after season 6. Every show has to end sometime, and all the shows you've mentioned were way past their prime. I mean, seriously, Degrassi High? They graduated high school! Time to let go!

• Jackie Barrett
    May 29, 2014 - 12:32

• Krista
    May 29, 2014 - 12:19

I can see a lot of people boycotting CBC and I'm one of those people.

• notafanneverwas
    May 29, 2014 - 11:35

I was never a fan of the show. But kudos to the series. I just wish Hatching and Matching was given a life line.

• willyschilly
      May 29, 2014 - 12:21

And GULLAGES..... loved em both. !!!!!!

• James
    May 29, 2014 - 11:21

Probably as much a product of CBC cutbacks as anything. Arctic Air and the Ron James Show bit it earkier. Heartland might have fewer episodes and CBC is getting out of live sports broadcasting starting in 2015 after the Pan Am games. Its all on the chopping block.

• Jackie Barrett
      May 29, 2014 - 12:54

Arctic Air and Ron James Show were poor quality and meaningless programs compared to high quality and enjoyable counterparts like Republic of Doyle. In fact, Republic of Doyle was so funny that even my aunt whom lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia watches this show every week. Just another case of CBC not learning from their mistakes in getting rid of high quality programs, particularly "Street Legal".

• Try Diff Network
    May 29, 2014 - 11:17

Oh noooo! Oh noooo! Oh no no no no! Oh no no no no! Oh noooo!

• Marty
    May 29, 2014 - 11:01

Personally, I never did get all the hype around it. I am a supporter of local theatre, art, music, etc., but could never get into this particular show. Our local scenery is beautiful , but not a lot changes week over week so the novelty of that wears off. For the most part, I don't think the acting is great and provincial government has been giving them much more money than other equally worthy artistic endeavours ; it's time to make room for something else.

• Christopher
      May 29, 2014 - 11:41

Would rather watch Allan Hawco act on TV any day over hearing the annoying voices of Greg Malone or Mary Walsh.

• Tom
      May 29, 2014 - 13:27

So you don’t like the show. Some don’t, but why make a comment about a government tax CREDIT, not cash in hand? It is a tax credit of a couple of million for a show with a 30 plus million budget. With most of the money being spent locally, it is a huge profit. Look up how these tax credits work and maybe you won’t make comments about it. Quick run down. The show is given a tax credit to help reduce costs, the money is spent here on local services. All the money spent is taxed. Government gets a much bigger return on the few million. Without the tax credit, the show shoots somewhere else where there is a tax credit. Not just here but all over Canada and the US.