Smoke forces workers from the building before morning rush
Employees in a Subway restaurant on Topsail Road in St. John’s were forced from the building early this morning, as smoke started to flood their back room.
The restaurant workers cleared out and called 911.
Firefighters were on the scene shortly before 7:30 a.m.
The smoke seemed to have come into the building from higher up, possibly from the ceiling, according to one worker who had been inside.
Firefighters took to the roof to investigate. Emergency vehicles were parked alongside Topsail Road and in the parking lots of adjacent businesses, but were not expected to affect the morning rush.
More to come.