A Conception Bay North man accused of child abuse against his many children concluded on June 18 at provincial court in Harbour Grace.
Crown attorney Lisa Stead and defence lawyer Jason Edwards presented their final submissions to Judge Jacqueline Brazil during the three-hour long session, which revealed neglect, touching and other maltreatment.
The man is charged with numerous accounts that include forcible confinement and invitation to sexual touching, as well as corrupting children and willfully contributing to a child in being need of protective intervention.
Details of the case, including the identity of the accused, are protected under a publication ban.
In a turn of events, Edwards conceded to the confinement charge, noting his client was an “accessory to the forcible confinement,” and asking for an acquittal of the remaining charges.
He noted inconsistencies in the prosecution’s case against the accused, not there was no third-party corroboration from doctors or social workers.
“Only thing consistent in all the evidence is the abuse the father suffered if he didn't do what he was told,” said Edwards.
When the defence was finished, Stead rose to counter his arguments.
She was simple in her presentation and told the court there was evidence to support each of the charges.
During Stead’s remarks, the man appeared to remorseful. He slumped his shoulders several times and dropped his head as some of the testimony from children was read out.
The case this afternoon has ties to another horrific child abuse case in the region.
The man is the husband of a CBN woman convicted of 20 charges of child abuse last month.
She remains in custody and will be sentenced on July 23.
Meanwhile, the man in this case left the courtroom accompanied by a female companion.
He will hear Brazil’s decision on Aug. 1 in provincial court in Harbour Grace at 1:30 p.m.