20 years in a row the swim team made their mark on the provincial scale
It’s been a summer of highs for the Bay Roberts Sea Lions summer swim team, which concluded with its success at the provincial championships in Gander.
Winning at provincials was great, but the highlight of this season was earning the top team in the province award for the 20th year in a row.
Sea Lions president Roxanne Yetman, who was a member of the very first team from Bay Roberts in 1984-85, is proud of how the team reached the milestone.
“We had 161 swimmers registered this year,” Yetman told The Compass. “Only 80 attended the meet in Gander. It was the lowest number we’ve ever had.”
Although the numbers were lower than expected, swimmers achieved some excellent times and still earned the top honour overall.
Here is a list of the team’s award winners for the 2014 season:
• Coaches’ choice — Cassandra Earle, Taylor Burke, Bradley Dawe and Olivia Dyke;
• Most improved swimmer, male — Rory Shortall;
• Most improved swimmer, female — Bridget Franey;
• Wing N’ It most spirited swimmer — Samantha Yetman;
• Most sportsmanlike, male — Riley Mercer;
• Most sportsmanlike, female — Toni-Lynn Parsons;
• Clean sweep recognition — Cameron Simms, Kyle Tetford and Mason Kearley;
• Female 9-10 50 freestyle record — Samantha Yetman;
• Male 11-12 50 freestyle record — Dawson Mercer;
• Female 11-12 50 butterfly record — Joy Parsons;
• Male 15-16 free relay record — Ryan Dawson, Peter Osborne, Andrew Churchill and Kyle Downey;
• Top Achievers — Adam Dawson, eight and under male; Samantha Yetman, 9-10 female; Joy Parsons, 11-12 female; Dawson Mercer, 11-12 male; Ashley Yetman, 13-14 female; Morgan Kearley, 15-16 female; and Ryan Dawson, 15-16 male.
To read more about the Bay Roberts Sea Lions and their journey, pick up the Sept. 8 print edition of The Compass.