Harbour Grace town manager resigns

After 20 months on the job, Harbour Grace's town manager has resigned.

Lisa Pike.

Lisa Pike joined the town as chief administrative officer and town manager in May 2014, after holding a similar position in the farming community of Warner, Alberta.

Pike declined to speak with The Compass Tuesday about her resignation, which came into effect Saturday. Harbour Grace Mayor Terry Barnes confirmed her resignation when contacted Tuesday, but declined to say anything more about the matter.

'Harbour Grace's newest chief administrative officer settling in'

Pike replaced former town CAO Ashley Janes, who resigned herself shortly after taking on the job. Janes initially filled the position following the retirement of Lester Forward, who worked with the town for three decades.

Organizations: The Compass

Geographic location: Warner, Alberta

• Mr.sutton
    January 21, 2016 - 14:13

There is two sides this story as to why she has resigned. People are too quick to judge its the fault of the town

• JOEM
    January 20, 2016 - 07:54

Sorry "Things You Don't Know"...it was not my intention to offend anyone. I am sure these two women were very educated and I am sure they had to deal with a lot of political BS from the Town. Again sorry if I offended you or anyone else, definitely not my intention.

• Former BAYWOMAN
    January 19, 2016 - 21:11

Good for you for 'givin it a go' Lisa; not many would even consider trying to take on the position, which seems to be a complicated one-20 months is not bad at all in my opinion.

• Shai
    January 19, 2016 - 20:21

The mayor for the town of Harbour Grace needs to take a page from the playbook for the city of Langford in British Columbia. I have been here for 22 years. When I moved here Langford WAS Harbour Grace, I know because I was born and raised in Harbour Grace. You would never say that to look at this city now!

• laughable
    January 19, 2016 - 15:11

I don't think the town of Harbour Grace have formally educated councilors or mayor. I can't speak to either of the ladies competency but it can't be any worst than those that lead. That town is run like a fiefdom, the mayor's wife is even called their "first lady", no wonder it's a dying town where the sidewalks are rolled up at suppertime. BTW JOEM, neither are" young girls" & there were two that resigned before this lady. Another huge problem is misogyny unless you're the wife of a perceived somebody that is.

• Chad
      January 20, 2016 - 12:44

There appears to be quite a bit of misogyny in the Spaindaird's Bay area as well. Very sad.

• Ross
    January 19, 2016 - 15:06

And it's not like there's much left to manage... mostly vacant lots & holes in the ground where once buildings stood.

• JOEM
    January 19, 2016 - 14:11

I guess the biggest words here are "seemingly competent"...the first young girl had no experience in that capacity to my knowledge and the second one was the former employee in a town of 331. Maybe the problem is that they are not hiring competent people. But I am not surprised...you are dealing with incompetent councillors. Maybe they should look to try to steal away a town manager form a neighboring town and then at least they will have someone with experience. Another feather in the hat of the Historic Town of Hr. Grace.

• Things You Don't Know
      January 19, 2016 - 14:59

Obviously the biggest words in your comment are "to my knowledge". If you don't know the facts then it's just speculation at best and slander at worst. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's lack of knowledge and speculation.

• Melissa Mc
    January 19, 2016 - 13:42

When two young seemingly competent young women take over a high profile job that a man previously held for three decades, both resign in short order, safe to say there's more going on in the Town Administration of Harbour Grace than meets the eye.