Placentia roads in dire need of repairs

I was born in Placentia 57 years ago, live in Mount Pearl (over 20 years), but I still call Placentia home.

Fort Louis Road in Placentia.

I made a visit home for a day this Christmas. All was good till I made an attempt to drive from Dunville to Placentia and then to South East! I was in shock at the condition of the roads (for lack of a better word)!

There was more potholes than there was good asphalt! I was giddy from trying to avoid beating the crap out of my car!

Your mayor and council should be ashamed of the condition of the 'public' roads! I guess they don't know that if they are made aware of a pothole and you damage your car, they would be on the hook for repairs!

'Damaged roads ahead ... and behind'

So I ask, exactly what are council spending your money on? Certainly not roads! The condition is a disgrace!

— Jim Bishop writes from Mount Pearl

• Wanda White
    January 12, 2016 - 16:40

Contrary to what "Taxpayer" said in the comments, 'your tax dollars' goes to the government to help pay for services used by all people of this province, not only for services in your town or roads used only by you. Highways outside of towns are paid for by all taxpayers of the province while roads within a town are the municipalities' responsibility, unless it is a main road such as route 80 or 74 or 60.

• Taxpayer
    January 12, 2016 - 08:55

I don't live in Placentia. Why should my taxes pay for your roads.

• Steve Templeton
    January 07, 2016 - 07:10

Who's responsible for the road through Ferndale?? Has to be one of the worst on the entire island!

• Katherine lynch
    January 06, 2016 - 22:31

Thank you for this article. The roads here are a disgrace and would like to ask the council why are they not fixed?? there are more bad roads than good. I've lost my hub caps numerous times and dented the rim on my car driving in Placentia. I've heard other people with the same compliant and ask why nothing has been done? Get your act together placentia town council! Where is the tax money and the money from all these big companies who own these big heavy trucks using these roads going? They should contribute to the upkeep since it's mostly them tearing up the roads.

• Linda Reddigan
    January 06, 2016 - 08:47

FYI. The roads through Dunville, Beach Road, Placentia (in the photo) and Southeast are provincial responsibility not the town.

• Andrew Robinson
      January 06, 2016 - 09:30

Thanks for pointing that out. Admittedly not the most appropriate image to choose for this letter. I just changed it to one that hopefully is more appropriate.

• Karl
    January 06, 2016 - 08:07

I do believe the beach road is a provincial road and yes it is in terable condition.