Think before parking

Lately I have been noticing an increase in people jumping at the idea to ignore rules and regulations put in place for them simply for their own convenience.

However, people are not realizing that these rules have been put in place to keep us safe or to make some people’s lives a little easier. These rules being broken are simple things such as parking in the fire lane, parking in the spot that is specifically designated for pregnant women and finally, parking in the spot that’s designated for people with disabilities.

I work at the Walmart on Kelsey Drive and there is not a day that goes by that I’m being dropped off to work that there isn't someone parked in the fire lane either waiting to be picked up or there is a taxi cab waiting for a customer to come out from shopping.

There are signs on most large businesses asking them to keep the fire lanes clear at all times in case of an emergency.

I’ve never seen someone being asked to move out of the fire lane, but in downtown St. John’s, people get tickets every day because they haven’t paid enough money for the elapsed time.

So why is it that parking in the fire lane is being tolerated? Is money more important to our city than safety? If there was a fire or some sort of emergency within the store, those few extra seconds getting cars to move out of the fire lane could cost someone their life.

Large businesses and the city should be following procedures and keep the fire lane clear at all times for the safety of others. Small things like having a manager asking people to move every now and then or asking the city to be able to ticket people who park there with no hesitation.

I also see people taking advantage of the wheelchair or disability parking spot in almost every shopping centre in the metro area. I think this is utterly ridiculous when people without parking permits, who are not eligible to park there, just think they can go ahead because they think it’s OK if they won't be long.

This is not an acceptable excuse.

The same goes for the car full of men I see parking in the spot eligible for expectant mothers. You are obviously a male unable to conceive a child, therefore, unless you have someone pregnant in the car, you should not be able to park there.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who needs one of those parking spots. How would you feel if you were in a wheelchair and had to park at the bottom of the parking lot?

It’s unfair and unreasonable when there are designated parking spots available for those in need. I think this is a problem most people see regularly or, like myself, on a day to day basis. But rarely do I ever see someone speaking up on this matter.

It’s not only parking spots at risk, however, it’s jeopardizing the health of others in need in our society.

I understand that when, in a rush, it’s hard to pay attention to where you’re parking your car.

However, we need to think of others and remember one small gesture can truly make a difference.

Megan Lahey

St. John’s

Organizations: Walmart on Kelsey Drive

Comments

Comments

• Be nice
    March 13, 2014 - 14:06

The pregnant spots are a courtesy spot by the store. I don't think they are a legal requirement. Why do people have to abuse it?? Is it really that hard to park 50-100 feet away? When you see pylons, is it that hard to understand you should not park there? It seems nobody wants to go by rules or signs anymore? They are there for a reason. I think the store should report anybody parked in front. Try asking them first and if they don't move, call somebody. Some day, they will wish they did but then it's too late.

• Parking lot
    March 13, 2014 - 13:30

when I was in my 8th month of pregnancy iwth my daughter I went to Sobeys to get groceries and found a overweight man sitting and eating fried chicken in the parking spot. I asked if he knew that the spot was designated for pregnant women and he responded with some very rude comments, cursing and swearing.......I asked him when was he due and if he knew if he was having a boy r a girl.....he drove away....I agree with the pregnancy parking spots...one never knows what health problems a pregnant owman might have just cutting the walking from the end of the parking lot to a closer spot might help the lady out.......especially if its windy, snowing or raining.....

• Llew
      March 18, 2014 - 07:53

Ahahahahaha! Yes!

• Disability
    March 13, 2014 - 13:16

I am a disabled person who has a wheelchair sign for my car but will not use it if I can get close enough. Although I see many cars park in disabled spots so many times at wal-mart and the banks. Its ridiculous. I've actully starting taking pictures of these vehicles front and back showing that they obviously do not have a disabled sign and hoping to be able to send it to the city to see if tickets could be issued. I was at the bank on elizabeth ave one night and went into the bank and asked everyone in there if they owned the vehicle that was parked in a handicap spot everyone said no except for lady who was using the debit machine who actually had the nerve to tell me to mind my own business. I did mind my own business I got in my car backed up right behind her and took a picture of her car and wouldn't move for 15 minutes.

• Awesome
      March 13, 2014 - 14:58

That is pretty awesome. One way to deal with those jerks!!

• Just Think
    March 13, 2014 - 13:14

It's painful to actually see people on here proudly admitting that they park in expectant mother spaces. I am not debating the exercise argument, but walking across an icy parking lot in winter can be dangerous, and the risk is much greater for a pregnant woman. Plus pregnancy isn't easy for everyone. If you had ever experienced sciatica, you would know that for some it can be incredibly painful to walk. Please be more considerate and, as the headline says, "think before parking".

• Big Guy
    March 13, 2014 - 12:09

I have a 60 inch waist. The full length of my belt goes from my head to toe. I can not open my car door wide enough to get in after someone parks too close to me. I constantly have to think about where and how I park to prevent this from happening. Sometimes, I have had to opt to not go inside a place as there is no where for me to park even though there are lots of empty spots. If someone parks too close to me, I have to so something either humiliating or risky. I have to get that person paged to come out to move their car or ask a random average sized stranger in the parking lot to get in my car and pull it out of the spot for me. By regulation, blue zones are supposed to be larger to accommodate wheelchairs. This wider spot would be very useful for a person my size as it allows ease of access. However, blue zone permit regulation do not allow for the disability of morbidly obese. I need to be afforded some decency that everyone else gets in a parking lot and be allowed to use the wider blue zones. I guess I could park in a wider pink zone and not get a ticket as they are only courtesy, but being a man...

• Yes by
      March 13, 2014 - 14:37

Or.... you could park at the far end and walk to loose a couple of inches Laziness is not a disability, if it were half of the population would need a blue zone permit.... Or rather 70% by 2019

• Big Guy
      March 13, 2014 - 16:41

@ Yes by: You show the typical hate and discrimation obese people face each and everyday. There is a big difference between 70% of the population being overweight and the small minority of people being morbidly obese. Someone weighing 200 lbs is simply overweight. Someone weighing 400 lbs is obese and disabled. In most cases those who are quite large, like myself, have other issues that contribute to their size. It is not a matter of walking to loose an inch, just like eating more carrots will not cure blindness.

• Really?
      March 13, 2014 - 17:26

This comment is directed to the ignorance of "Yes By". I can only imagine what the level of intelligence you hold by the name you chose to call yourself. Sounds like you could use a lesson in decency. Jerk...Not all obesity is attributed to laziness or eating habits. If you had any common sense at all or education you would know that obesity is also caused by health issues. Obesity often manifests itself as a symptom, not a cause. Perhaps you need to educate yourself. Stigmatizing someone because of their size is soooo yesterday. You're a bully.....

• concerned citizen
    March 13, 2014 - 11:56

this is happening all over the city I have called 311 a dozen times as well as city councilers and nothing is ever done enforcement is a joke

• Definitions
    March 13, 2014 - 11:15

Most people who complain about cars in fire lane do not know that they are wrong in the vast majority of instances. You are allowed to “stop” or “stand” in a fire lane. You are not allowed to “park” in a fire lane. There is a difference. “Stopping” simply means pulling for a minute or two while staying behind the wheel. “No Stopping” zones are usually found along busy roads with no place to pull over, such as in front of Mile One Stadium, and usually marked with a red circle crossing over a picture of a stop sign. “Standing” means you are allowed to pull over and get out of your car for a moment to load or unload passengers or packages as long as you stay with your car. “No Stopping” zone are more common in bigger cities in places where you can pull over but can not safely get out of your car without getting run over or impeding traffic flow. “Parking” implies getting out for your car for extended period of time and walking away from it.“No Parking” zones are more common and have different marking or wordings as can be found in fire lanes. If you are “stopped” or “standing” in a fire lane you can easily move your car to make room for an emergency vehicle as it approaches, which you would not be able to do if you are “parked.”

• original townie
    March 13, 2014 - 10:50

Megan....I agree with each comment except expectant mothers. I will use that space to park without hesitation. As for handicapped zones, I would walk the full length of a perking lot to not park in one. Walking does not affect pregnancy....being a woman I would think you know this. My mother had six kids and walked practically everywhere as all other mothers. I feel expectant zones are ridiculous....what next, senior zones. Exercise does not shorten one's life expectancy...contrary it lengthens it. take a walk!

• notquite
      March 13, 2014 - 12:49

Well..you may be correct in some situations "Original Townie" but not in all. There ARE many pregnant women who have gestational issues where their doctor recommends limited movement (not QUITE bedrest...) Its never wise to throw a stereotype out there, even if your mother had six kids and walked everywhere, the demographics of motherhood have changed greatly - women are having their first pregnancies later in life, which can cause health issues during the gestational period. Keep an open mind.

• Thomas
    March 13, 2014 - 10:26

You can start with that tribe of cab drivers who line up by the winners entrance of the Avalon mall. Clearly a no parking zone due to fire zone. Idgits

• George P.
    March 13, 2014 - 09:10

I have a handicapped blue zone permit. So often I see such permits abused. If some family member has a legitimate permit, it's displayed in the vehicle. Others who drive the vehicle when the permit holder is NOT on board will still go ahead and use the permit privilege. If businesses could assign 'occasional' security to report such abuse and lay charges, the word might get around. Police in an unmarked car parked nearby to blue zones could make a good day's pay in fines for such abuse. And it would tell the abusers that authorities ARE watching and that they do mean business.

• A mom
    March 13, 2014 - 08:46

I agree with you Megan I see it everyday as well it should be up to your manager to call parking enforcement to have these fire lanes and these disability spots are kept clear.Sorry I disagree with expectant mother,and mother with child parking spots they should be turned into disability as some stores really need more.Another place are school zones I see this everyday and it should be up to the principle of the school to keep these fire lanes clear not only for fire reasons these schools are so busy at pock up time I see many kids just barely missing getting hit with cars especially elementary as they are so small some barely come to the bumpers of these bigger cars.These people are hired to be principles and managers because it is their jobs to enforce the rules for the people's safety.

• A mom
    March 13, 2014 - 08:45

• W Bagg
    March 13, 2014 - 08:08

Taxis are king here. In Calgary, when you call a taxi, the driver knocks on your door with a tie on to let you know he is there. Here some guy pulls up on the wrong side of the road, lays on the horn until you come out, 2 mins LATER, THEY TAKE OFF.

• wtf
    March 13, 2014 - 07:45

Maybe Wal-Mart should have it's security enforce the parking regulations on it's property. I once saw a grocery store place pylons in the fire lane to keep cars away. But all the lazy arses decided to park next to the pylons and block the driving lanes. There's no shortage of morons on the road.