CeeBees hand Flyers second straight drubbing

Nicholas Mercer
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The Eastlink CeeBee Stars (6-9-1) wanted to start 2014 off with a bang.


And, that is exactly what they’ve done.

After a 6-1 drubbing of the Gander Flyers on Jan. 11, the CeeBees’ offense was on fire again on Jan. 12 at the S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium in Harbour Grace.

The Harbour Grace-based team defeated the Flyers 10-3 in the afternoon match up, using a four-goal second period blitz to put the Flyers away early.

“Everyone was relentless in front of the net. We just kept attacking and attacking, and good things happened,” said CeeBees’ captain Mike Dyke, who had a hat trick in the victory.

Dyke scored once in each period, and picked up an assist on Colin Feehan’s goal in the first frame.

When he was not firing pucks in the Gander net, Dyke played a controlled game on the back end.

“It seems like when you start scoring a couple of goals, it seems like they usually come in bunches,” he said. “I felt well and the whole team played a great. It was a good weekend.”

Dyke was not the only player to put his mark all over the scoresheet.

Newcomer Ben Duffy had a goal and four assists, while Matt Quinn added a goal and an assist. For Duffy, the slick skating forward has registered eight points in his first two games as a CeeBee.

Perhaps the biggest acquisition made by the club prior to this weekend’s series was goaltender Roger Kennedy.

Kennedy was solid and came up big when he came too Sunday afternoon. He did not see much action, stopping 17 of the 20 shots he finished, but its not hard to see the confidence he gives the players in front of him.

“Having Roger between the pipes, with the confidence that he has, it seems like it gave everyone else on the team more confidence,” said Dyke.

The CeeBees and Flyers skated to a 3-1 first period in favour of the home team.

Dyke, Wes Welcher and Feehan had markers for the CeeBees, while Rob Mignardi replied for the Flyers.

The second, however, was not even close. The Flyers mustered only three shots, and the CeeBees pulled away with four goals in the frame.

Jordan Escott got things going, The team’s leading point getter, Escott blasted a shot from the slot past goaltender Devon O’Brien.

From here, the flood gates opened. Dyke fired a one-timer from the point into the Flyers goal, followed by goals from Duffy and Fred Earle.

 The Duffy goal marked the end of the road for O’Brien as he was replaced by Patty O’Brien. Patty was met with a rude welcome as Earle beat him with a shot from centre ice that Patty misjudged.

The second period concluded with the CeeBees up 7-1 and with a stranglehold on the game.

In the third, the Flyers offered a little resistance scoring twice, both by Peter Campbell, but the CeeBees kept pushing forward.

Dyke, Matt Quinn and Andrew Smith scored for CBN. For Smith, who plays with the CBN Junior Stars in the St. John’s Junior Hockey League, it was his first senior hockey league goal.

“We have a bit of momentum now, and we have a big three game weekend coming up,” said Dyke. “Our goal is to win two of three and hopefully keep rolling.”

With the victory, the CeeBees moved into fifth place of the six-team Newfoundland Senior Hockey League.


Organizations: Flyers, Junior Hockey League, Newfoundland Senior Hockey League

Geographic location: S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page