Upper Island Cove receive ball field lighting system funding

Nicholas Mercer

Ball players in Upper Island Cove will no longer be limited to the going down of the sun.

Minister of Municipal Affairs Stephen Kent was in Upper Island Cove on Jan. 20 to announce funding for a new lighting system at the community's ball field.

This is after Steve Kent, minister of municipal affairs, announced some $167,000 in funding on Jan. 20 for the installation of a new lighting system at the existing ball field.

Held at the Upper Island Cove Recreation Centre, a cadre of young ball players from the Baseball CBN Bulldogs program for the announcement.

“It’s pretty good,” said player Aaron Osbourne.

The new lighting system will provide officials with the Bulldogs, as well as members of the community, with the opportunity to enjoy various activities when the sun goes down.

With regards to baseball and softball, the restriction of being able to play only during the day limited the amount of activity the field could be used for.

Now, days are limitless. Practices and games can be held during the evening, opening new avenues for the club and the community.

“It’s a tremendous initiative,” said Upper Island Cove Mayor George Adams.

Baseball is a game meant to be played under the lights and now, in Upper Island Cove it can be.

“Being active and living a healthy lifestyle is important for the well-being of seniors, children and families across Newfoundland and Labrador,” said Kent.

The project is expected to be finished next season and is cost shared 90/10 with the provincial government.

“It’s about improving your quality of life,” said Port de Grave MHA Glenn Littlejohn. “By improving recreation services in your community and in your region, we hope to ensure longer livelihoods and better health for everybody.

“Where better to start than on a recreation facility.”

nmercer@cbncompass.ca

Organizations: Upper Island Cove Recreation Centre

Geographic location: Upper Island Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Port de Grave MHA Glenn Littlejohn

Comments

Comments

• calvin sharpe
    January 31, 2014 - 19:08

this is very serious who is liable if something should happen I bet the Town is

• concern
    January 30, 2014 - 18:29

this is a serious safety issue an accident just waiting to happen I wonder who would be liable if someone was to get seriously hurt from a strayed ball coming from the ball field onto your property

• concern
    January 30, 2014 - 18:28

• calvin sharpe
    January 28, 2014 - 16:00

it is my Understanding that the town of upper island cove is installing lights on the ball field. to play ball at night my congratulations to the town.but dont you think that they should Resolve the safety Issue with malcolm mercer first before some one get hurt this is redulious when a family cannot go outside of there house when there is a ball game. this is such a simple problem to fix but nobody seems to care until somebody gets hurt.

• Mr Right
    January 27, 2014 - 13:35

I Don't Understand This The Town Council Can Get A Grant For 166000 To Install Lights On The Ball Field To Play Ball At Night And A Grant To Put A Walking Track Around The Ball Field Why Wouldn't They Apply For A Grant To Resolve A Safety Issue That's Been Going On For 13 yrs Something Is Not Right About This

• mr wrong
      January 28, 2014 - 20:37

I agree when it comes to a safety issue money shouldn't matter

• mr wrong
      January 28, 2014 - 20:38

I agree when it comes to a safety issue money shouldn't matter

• No Need
    January 23, 2014 - 19:14

No need! You'd think council would be pro-active here before someone gets hurt...... If this was the US - you would spend as much time as possible trying to get hit by a ball and then cash in on their negligence!

• malcolm mercer
    January 21, 2014 - 15:52

I live next to the ball field I've had a problem with balls coming onto my property since 2000 balls hitting my house and shed its not safe to leave my vehicles in my driveway and its not safe to go outside when theres a ball game being played now that the lights are going to be installed I will have the problem day and night I think that the council should fix this problem first before installing lights before someone gets hurt

• dontagree
      January 30, 2014 - 19:39

shame on the town council why someone should have to live in fear for thirteen years for a problem that was created by the town I wonder if anyone on the council would like to have this issue on there property I don't think so