Admirals keep their season afloat with OT win

Robin Short
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The Norfolk Admirals’ Josh Manson gives St. John’s IceCaps goaltender Michael Hutchinson a snow shower during Game 5 of the team’s American Hockey League Eastern Conference semifinal series Tuesday in Norfolk, Va. The Admirals won 3-2 in overtime.
The series shifts back to St. John’s for Game 6 on Friday night. Game 7, if necessary, goes Saturday.

Norfolk defeats St. John’s 3-2 in Game 5 to send series back to Mile One Centre

The gritty Norfolk Admirals, undaunted after coughing up a late goal to send Game 5 into overtime, got a clutch power play tally from Andre Petersson at 13:10 of the extra session to down the St. John’s IceCaps 3-2 and force a sixth game in the American Hockey League’s Eastern Conference semifinal Friday night in St. John’s.
The Admirals entered the game trailing the series 3-1 after dropping 5-3 and 5-1 decisions to St. John’s Saturday and Tuesday at The Scope in Norfolk.

Game 6 will now be played at Mile One Centre 7:30 Friday night.

Max Friberg and Shea Theodore also scored for the winners. Eric O’Dell had both St. John’s goals.

The Admirals received a power play after Andrew Gordon was nabbed for tripping at 12:20 of the extra session.

O’Dell forced overtime with his second goal of the game and fourth in two games, swooping in on Brad Thiessen and delivering yet another clutch goal with 2:58 left in regulation.

It was the IceCaps who struck first Tuesday, not unusual given the fact the IceCaps have scored the first goal eight times in nine games in this post season. O’Dell scored his third goal in two games, and fifth of the playoffs, 6:23 in. He faked a shot at the top of the circle, went to the middle and beat Brad Thiessen.

The Admirals appeared to have tied the game 10 minutes later, when Andre Petersson scored, but the goal was waved off and Norfolk was assessed a too many men on the ice penalty.

However, the Ads did net one that counted 10 seconds after Zack Stortini finished serving the Norfolk bench minor. Friberg raced down the right wing and beat Hutchinson on a shot from the top of the faceoff circle, a shot the IceCaps goalie should have stopped, the first bad goal Hutchinson has allowed in these playoffs.

Theodore, making only his third start in these playoffs, scored the go-ahead goal just 48 seconds after the first whistle in the third period, picking up a loose puck at the St. John’s blueline and skating in unchecked to cash in on his first goal of the playoffs.

It stood 2-1 Norfolk until O’Dell forced overtime.

Thiessen made 36 saves for the Admirals. Hutchinson, who was particularly good in OT, stopped 34 pucks.

Organizations: IceCaps

Geographic location: Norfolk

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Al Hall
    May 15, 2014 - 15:09

    [From a Monarchs fan] - beat them Admirals tomorrow night please! Thanks!