• Landfall 2016 artist-in-residence Lilian Cooper will offer a presentation on her work “Images from the North Atlantic Rim” at St. George’s Heritage Church in Brigus on July 6. The event is free and starts at 7 p.m.
Open-air gospel service
• Open-air gospel services will be held every Wednesday at 7 p.m. beginning July 6 and continuing until Aug. 31 by the Spirit of Harbour Grace plane in Riverhead. Come enjoy an hour of gospel singing and preaching. For more information call 596-5426.
• New Perlican Heritage Day
July 9th at the community centre to recognize the Trinity Bay community’s heritage. Hosted by Heritage New Perlican. For more information visit www.facebook.com/groups/221206287995511/.
Lobster supper and auction
• At the Cupids Legacy Centre, Saturday, July 9. Bar opens at 6 p.m., supper at 7 p.m. Dinner includes lobster, salad, homemade desserts, tea and coffee, and a glass of wine or beer. Tickets must be purchased by July 4. For more information, call 528-1610 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
First World War musical theatre
• In tribute to the 100th anniversary of Beaumont Hamel, Spaniard's Bay Heritage Society presents "The Door You Came In," a 90-minute performance of story and song by an extremely talented duo, David MacFarlane and Douglas Cameron. It tells the tale of a family dealing with the memory and loss of loved ones during the Battle of the Somme and Beaumont Hamel. July 9 at 8 p.m. at Cpl. Matthew Brazil, Branch #9, Spaniard's Bay Legion. Free admission. All are welcome!
Harbour Grace church flower service
• The annual Coughlan United Church Flower Service will be held Sunday, July 10 at 11 a.m. at the cemetery on Military Road, Harbour Grace. In the event of inclement weather, the service will move inside the church on Water Street.
Spaniard’s Bay church flower service
• The annual United Church Flower Service for Spaniard’s Bay Cemetery will be held Sunday, July 10 at 2:30 p.m. at the cemetery. In the event of inclement weather, the service will move inside the Wesley Gosse Museum (the former United Church in Spaniard’s Bay).
Shearstown open mic
• The Shearstown Open Mic Show is held on the second Sunday of each month and this month’s show will be held on July 10 at the Shearstown Lions Club. The doors open at 1 p.m. and the music starts at 2 p.m. The canteen service is to die for. Join in the summer fun at the Shearstown Open Mic Show. Join the other performers at the open mic or bring your instrument and play along or just tap your feet to that great old country beat.
Film screening and author reading
• The Cupids Historical Society is pleased to present author Jenny Higgins Thursday, July 14 at Legacy Hall in Cupids. Higgins will show short films of the war and the Newfoundland Regiment and read from her new book, “Newfoundland in the First World War.” Everyone welcome. Admission by donation at 7:30 p.m. Proceeds to support Millbrook Gardens.
Carbonear fire department 175th anniversary celebrations
• The fire department will host a meet and greet at the Royal Canada Legion in Carbonear at 7 p.m. July 15. A special church service at Bethany United Church will follow the next day at 3 p.m. Then on July 17 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. the fire department will host a family fun day at Paddy’s Garden. Fireworks will be lit from the public wharf at dusk. For more information, contact fire chief Brent Sweeney at 596-6932.
Chase the ace fundraiser
• The Bay Roberts Cultural Foundation 'Chase the Ace' game has resumed. We look forward to seeing you again every Monday at the Royal Canadian Legion from 7-9:15 p.m. Proceeds will go towards the establishment of a performing arts centre and other foundation projects. For further details, please visit www.bayrobertsculture.com.
Legion chase the ace
• We have chase the ace every Saturday here at the Royal Canadian Legion Carbonear starting at 6:30 p.m. and drawn at 9 p.m. For more info call 596-3691.
New Hope Al-ANON
• The New Hope AL-ANON group meets Tuesday 7:30 p.m. at the U-Turn Addictions Centre in Carbonear, located at 46 Powell Drive. A 12-step recovery program for relatives and friends of alcoholics. For more information, call Lorraine at 596-2171.
• The Trinity Conception NAR-ANON Family Group offers a 12-step program designed to help relatives and friends of addicts recover from the effects of their addiction.
We always maintain personal anonymity. Meetings are held Wednesday nights from 7:30-8:30 p.m. at the U-Turn Addictions Centre, 46 Powell Drive, in Carbonear. For more information, call 786-1797 after 5 p.m.
Museum and gallery
• The Road to Yesterday Museum and the Christopher Pratt Gallery in the Cable Building, Water Street, Bay Roberts, will be open 2-4 p.m. on Wednesdays.
CNIB vision mate
• Shopping. Reading. Taking a stroll down the street. For those who are blind or partially sighted, these things can be challenging. Become a CNIB Vision Mate and experience the rewards of giving back. With only two hours a week, you can help someone in your community with these everyday tasks. Learn how at cnib.ca/volunteer or by calling your local CNIB office at 1-800-563-2642.
Calendar is a community service offered by The Compass to provide non-profit organizations with space free-of-charge to promote their meetings and community events. We reserve the right to edit out ticket prices, admission fees, and any other items we consider to be pre-paid advertising. Submit listings to email@example.com.