The town awards, which were founded in 1988, recognized to athletes and volunteers alike, while two sports teams from the area were also inducted into the Harbour Grace Sports Hall of Fame.
The reception, which was held in the Danny Cleary Harbour Grace Community Centre, was filled with dozens of excited residents and family members – so many, that even as extra chairs were brought into the room, there were not enough to seat everyone.
The night began with words from the MC, Don Regular, as well as Zoe Anderson, chairperson for the Harbour Grace Sports Museum and Hall of Fame.
Coun. Kathy Tetford spoke on behalf of Mayor Terry Barnes, and MHA for the Harbour Grace-Port de Grave area Pam Parsons made an appearance as well, where she spoke highly of athletes both young and old in the area.
“I believe that some of the best athletes in the province come from right here in Harbour Grace, and we’ve got people like Danny Cleary, Jamie Korab, and Crystal Young to prove that,” said Parsons.
There were a total of ten awards given out during the reception, as well as two inductions into the Harbour Grace Sports Hall of Fame.
“This has been going on for 29 years,” said Anderson, “so that means the reception itself is much older than some of the people receiving awards tonight. I think that speaks to the kind of dedication Harbour Grace has for sports, and it’s only getting better every year.”
Winners of the awards at the reception received a certificate from both Member of Parliament for the Avalon Ken McDonald and MHA Parsons.
- Winners of the Mayor and Councillor’s Award of Recognition: Chad Hunt, David Murphy, Bud Chafe
- Volunteer of the Year Award (Paul Moriarity Memorial Sport Volunteer Award): Michelle Pike
- Team of the Year Award (KIXX Country Award): CeeBee’s Atom 1 Minor Hockey team
- 1992 Summer Games Scholarship: Connor Parsons
- Junior Female Athlete of the Year (Sonia Williams Award): Katie Shute
- Junior Male Athlete of the Year (Jamie Korab Award): Riley Pike
- Senior Female Athlete of the Year (Doris Murcell Memorial Award): Samantha Pike
- Senior Male Athlete of the Year (S.W. Moores Memorial Award): Ryon Williams
- Harbour Grace Sports Hall of Fame Inductions: Bannerman Lakers, 1993 Ladies’ Rowing Team