Eight titles have made the shortlist for the 2018 Heritage and History Book Award.
The award recognizes non-fiction work contributing to public knowledge of Newfoundland and Labrador’s heritage and history.
Nominated titles were published in 2016 or 2017.
Sixteen books have previously been recognized with the award — a joint award from the Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (HSA) and the Writer’s Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador, previously recognizing fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
Since 2016, it has been focused specifically on non-fiction work and is presented by the HSA.
• “Escape Hatch, Newfoundland’s Quest for German Industry and Immigration, 1950-1970” by Gerhard Bassler (Flanker Press, 2017)
• “Gerald Squires” by Stan Dragland (Pedlar Press, 2017)
• “The Forgotten Songs of Newfoundland Outports: As Taken From Kenneth Peacock’s Newfoundland Field Collection, 1951-1961” by Anna Kearney Guigné (Canadian Museum of History and University of Ottawa Press, 2016)
• “Towards an Encyclopedia of Local Knowledge: Excerpts from Chapters I and II” by Pam Hall (Breakwater Books, 2017)
• “Newfoundland in the First World War” by Jenny Higgins (Boulder Publications, 2016)
• “The Traditional Newfoundland Kitchen” by Roger Pickavance (Boulder Publications, 2017)
• “Gold Coins of Newfoundland, 1865-1888” by Harvey B. Richer (Boulder Publications, 2017)
• “Terra Magna: Labrador” by J.C. Roy (Breakwater Books, 2017)
The winning title will be announced March 7, 2018.