Top News

Feds commit $13 million to Bay de Verde harbour upgrades


BAY DE VERDE, N.L. — Hot on the heels of Quinlan Brothers’ recent announcement on work commencing to rebuild the fish plant in Bay de Verde, the federal government came out Monday with details about further investment in the local harbour.

Making his first visit to Newfoundland and Labrador since being named the federal fisheries minister earlier this year, Dominic LeBlanc announced government is committed to funding the reconstruction of the fish plant wharf and breakwater extensions. The wharf was damaged during the April 11th fire that destroyed Quinlan Brothers’ crab processing plant.

Local MP Judy Foote reported that over $13 million would be invested in Bay de Verde — $8 million for the wharf, $4 million for the north-side breakwater extension, $750,000 for a breakwater extension on the south side, and $250,000 for south-side parking lot repairs.

“Every Canadian I think was touched by the tragedy that this fire represented,” LeBlanc told a large crowd, standing on the wharf opposite where the fish plant used to be.

“I have small coastal communities which depend on the fishery, and your community here in Bay de Verde and right across this great province are examples of great entrepreneurs and communities that have faced challenges before and have come out every bit more resilient for it.”

Altogether, $68.2 million will be spent this year on small craft harbour projects in Newfoundland and Labrador. This includes a two-year project to construct a wharf on the south side of Harbour Grace, completion of the new breakwater in Carbonear and reconstruction of the Fisherman’s Centre marginal wharf in Port de Grave, and a new $550,000 concrete boat launch in Grates Cove.

The north-side breakwater extension was finished in April, with all wharf-related work in Bay de Verde just about ready to go to tender. Construction work on that project is expected to begin in September.

Foote appreciated the federal minister’s presence for Monday’s announcement.

“The history here, the human aspect of this story is one that we can never overlook, and the fact that we’re working in partnership with a company able to move so quickly to get this work underway so that people in this area and those who depend on the plant will have a bright future once again,” she said.

SEE RELATED:

'Quinlan Brothers ready to rebuild in Bay de Verde'

'Displaced Bay de Verde plant workers finding shifts elsewhere'

'Mayor optimistic about Quinlan Brothers' future in Bay de Verde'

'A big loss for Bay de Verde'

Quinlan Brother vice-president Robin Quinlan said work on the new fish plant was starting Monday, with steel likely to arrive Tuesday. As for government’s support to reconstruct the wharf, Quinlan said it would create new opportunities for the company.

“A lot of the problems that we had with the wharves before, there wasn’t enough water depth to get vessels in — larger vessels. Now we have a suitable wharf and we can use the full frontage in front of the plant for tie-up and offloading. So it’s a great piece of news for the company to be able to have such a large piece of infrastructure to help us for the next season.”

Quinlan reaffirmed his company’s intention to have the plant ready to open next spring.

editor@cbncompass.ca

Making his first visit to Newfoundland and Labrador since being named the federal fisheries minister earlier this year, Dominic LeBlanc announced government is committed to funding the reconstruction of the fish plant wharf and breakwater extensions. The wharf was damaged during the April 11th fire that destroyed Quinlan Brothers’ crab processing plant.

Local MP Judy Foote reported that over $13 million would be invested in Bay de Verde — $8 million for the wharf, $4 million for the north-side breakwater extension, $750,000 for a breakwater extension on the south side, and $250,000 for south-side parking lot repairs.

“Every Canadian I think was touched by the tragedy that this fire represented,” LeBlanc told a large crowd, standing on the wharf opposite where the fish plant used to be.

“I have small coastal communities which depend on the fishery, and your community here in Bay de Verde and right across this great province are examples of great entrepreneurs and communities that have faced challenges before and have come out every bit more resilient for it.”

Altogether, $68.2 million will be spent this year on small craft harbour projects in Newfoundland and Labrador. This includes a two-year project to construct a wharf on the south side of Harbour Grace, completion of the new breakwater in Carbonear and reconstruction of the Fisherman’s Centre marginal wharf in Port de Grave, and a new $550,000 concrete boat launch in Grates Cove.

The north-side breakwater extension was finished in April, with all wharf-related work in Bay de Verde just about ready to go to tender. Construction work on that project is expected to begin in September.

Foote appreciated the federal minister’s presence for Monday’s announcement.

“The history here, the human aspect of this story is one that we can never overlook, and the fact that we’re working in partnership with a company able to move so quickly to get this work underway so that people in this area and those who depend on the plant will have a bright future once again,” she said.

SEE RELATED:

'Quinlan Brothers ready to rebuild in Bay de Verde'

'Displaced Bay de Verde plant workers finding shifts elsewhere'

'Mayor optimistic about Quinlan Brothers' future in Bay de Verde'

'A big loss for Bay de Verde'

Quinlan Brother vice-president Robin Quinlan said work on the new fish plant was starting Monday, with steel likely to arrive Tuesday. As for government’s support to reconstruct the wharf, Quinlan said it would create new opportunities for the company.

“A lot of the problems that we had with the wharves before, there wasn’t enough water depth to get vessels in — larger vessels. Now we have a suitable wharf and we can use the full frontage in front of the plant for tie-up and offloading. So it’s a great piece of news for the company to be able to have such a large piece of infrastructure to help us for the next season.”

Quinlan reaffirmed his company’s intention to have the plant ready to open next spring.

editor@cbncompass.ca

Latest News