BREAKING: Old Bond Theatre afire in Carbonear

Terry Roberts editor@cbncompass.ca
Published on April 23, 2014

Emergency responders are on the scene of a fire at the old Bond Theatre in Carbonear, where heavy black smoke is billowing from the venerable structure on Water Street.

Firefighters started arriving at the scene at about 1:30 p.m., and were forced to pry open the front door.

Almost immediately, smoke started pouring from the building as crews raced to set up hoses and position the brigade's aerial ladder and pumper truck.

Teams are attacking the fire from both the front and back of the building, and Water Street is now closed to traffic at the intersection with Bond Street.

The building was most recently used as a base for a business called The Trophy Hut. An employee at the scene said inventory was being removed from the building today in order to make room for a co-operative for those wanting to sell art and other items.

A collection of antique furniture is also stored in the building.

Workers left the building just before 1 p.m. to eat lunch, and were notified a short time later that smoke was coming from the structure.

The worker suggested the fire must be the result of an electrical malfunction, since "none of us in there smoke."

The Compass will provide more details as they become available.