It was a beautiful day for the graduates of the College of the North Atlantic, Carbonear campus to celebrate the completion of their programs.
Some 30 graduates dressed in weather-friendly attire joined their families, friends and the staff of the college at the Princess Sheila NaGeira Theatre in Carbonear today, June 18.
A ceremony of handing out diplomas and awards, and speeches from some special guests took place to begin the festivities.
Community studies graduate Jessica Osbourne was the class valedictorian. She was one of those to address the crowd.
After the ceremony, the attendees went across Water Street and up Bannerman Street to the Royal Canadian Legion for an afternoon meal of turkey, with all the fixings.
Campus administrator Joe Mullins called it a, “beautiful event.”
“There were over 100 in attendance for the meal,” he explained. “And it was a beautiful day. It seems like the students really enjoyed it.”
Not all the graduates attended the celebrations. There were some 60 graduates who completed their programs — 15 comprehensive arts and science (CAS) transfer students, 14 community studies students, 14 carpentry students, 11 construction and industrial electrical students and five CAS transition students.
Some of the students will head off to their chosen careers, while others will continue their schooling.
Award winners of the 2014 CNA Carbonear campus graduating class are:
• Avian Group, Storm Petrel scholarship — carpenter Kevin Reid;
• Babb Law Office scholarship — CAS transfer student Anna Finn;
• Bay Roberts/Carbonear Subway CAS transfer year scholarship — Samantha Byrne and Arynne O’Reilly;
• Bay Roberts/Carbonear Subway CAS transition year scholarship — Megan Cranford;
• CAS transition continuing achievement scholarship — Megan Cranford;
• CAS transfer entrance scholarship — Danielle St. Croix;
• CNA Nanuk’s high five bursary — community studies student Janine Kalluak;
• CNA student union bursary — community studies student Janine Kalluak;
• Exemplary learner achievement award — community studies students Chelsea Foley and Jessica Osbourne;
• Frank O’Keefe Carbonear Physiotherapy scholarship — CAS transfer student Danielle St. Croix;
• Fry Family Foundation CNA leadership achievement award — CAS transfer student Danielle St. Croix;
• Harrison McCain Foundation entrance scholarship — CAS transfer student Cailey Beaucage and electrician Daniel O’Leary;
• Home Hardware carpenter achievement awards — Peter Garrett, Mitch Newman and Justin Slade;
• Klein Tools prize — electrician Brendan Broomfield;
• Scotiabank bursary — CAS transfer student Angeline King;
• Governor General’s medal — community studies graduate Kathleen Mercer;
• President’s medals of excellence: CAS transfer — Anna Finn; CAS transition — Megan Cranford; community studies — Kathleen Mercer; carpenter — Peter Garrett; and electrician — Brendan Broomfield.