Home invasion suspect consents to remand custody

Andrew Robinson andrew.robinson@tc.tc
Published on January 5, 2016
Bradley Frank James Adams, 18, enters provincial court in Harbour Grace Tuesday afternoon. He was arrested in Whitbourne earlier that day.
Photo by Andrew Robinson/The Compass

The man accused of threatening a woman inside her home with a knife before stealing her vehicle made a quiet appearance in court Tuesday afternoon.

Bradley Frank James Adams, who only turned 18 last month, is facing a slew of charges in connection with the incident on New Found Lane in Bay Roberts. The Bay Roberts resident is charged with armed robbery, break and enter, theft over $5,000, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, concealing his identity with a mask and obstructing an officer by giving a false name.

Adams’ face was expressionless and he said very little while at provincial court in Harbour Grace Tuesday, even as he looked up at a family member speaking with him before his case was heard.

Crown prosecutor Natalie Payne told Judge Jacqueline Brazil the crown is opposed to Adams’ release and would proceed by indictment on all charges. She said the investigation into the home invasion is ongoing, with forensic identification officers still collecting evidence.

Duty counsel lawyer Jeff Slade said Adams would consent to remand custody. A bail hearing has been tentatively set for Jan. 20.

According to police, there was a brief struggle involving the female victim and the man who entered the home on New Found Lane at around 1 a.m. Tuesday. That struggle happened after the masked-intruder reportedly threatened her with a knife.

The woman, who was alone in the house at the time of the incident, suffered minor injuries. Her vehicle was later found in Whitbourne, where police also made the arrest.

SEE RELATED:

'Arrest in overnight Bay Roberts home invasion'

Trinity Conception RCMP is receiving help from Placentia, Whitbourne and Clarenville detachments with the ongoing investigation.

editor@cbncompass.ca