Sections

Gull Island man accused of assaulting 79-year-old pleads not guilty

Published on August 9, 2017

John Oliver of Gull Island is accused of assaulting a 79-year-old man in Caplin Cove.

©Compass file photo

HARBOUR GRACE, NL — A man accused of assaulting a 79-year-old after breaking into his home earlier this year entered not guilty pleas in court Wednesday afternoon.

John Patrick Oliver, 46, entered the pleas himself at Harbour Grace Provincial Court. He's charged with assault, break and enter, uttering threats and two counts of failing to comply with court orders.

According to an RCMP news release, police were called to a home in Caplin Cove on Jan. 4. The victim, who lived in the home, reportedly suffered minor injuries after he was punched in the head several times. Police said the accused and the victim were familiar with each other.

SEE RELATED:

Oliver told Judge Bruce Short he is in the process of getting a lawyer. His case was set over to Sept. 13 for a status update.