Top News

Gull Island man accused of assaulting 79-year-old pleads not guilty

John Patrick Oliver takes a seat in the prisoner’s box at Harbour Grace Provincial Court.
John Patrick Oliver takes a seat in the prisoner’s box at Harbour Grace Provincial Court.

HARBOUR GRACE, NL — A man accused of assaulting a 79-year-old after breaking into his home earlier this year entered not guilty pleas in court Wednesday afternoon.

John Patrick Oliver, 46, entered the pleas himself at Harbour Grace Provincial Court. He's charged with assault, break and enter, uttering threats and two counts of failing to comply with court orders.

According to an RCMP news release, police were called to a home in Caplin Cove on Jan. 4. The victim, who lived in the home, reportedly suffered minor injuries after he was punched in the head several times. Police said the accused and the victim were familiar with each other.

SEE RELATED:

'Gull Island man accused of punching 79-year-old in the head'

Oliver told Judge Bruce Short he is in the process of getting a lawyer. His case was set over to Sept. 13 for a status update.

editor@cbncompass.ca

Latest News