The Skills Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Skilled Trade and Technology Competition was held in St. John’s last Friday, with 250 regional finalists taking part. Gold medal winners will attend the Skills Canada National Competition in Saskatoon this May.
Ascension Collegiate’s Mackenzie Collins earned a gold medal in the public speaking secondary competition. Adrienne Deering, who also attends the Bay Roberts high school, won gold in the information technology software solutions for business secondary event. Ascension placed second overall among competing secondary schools.
College of the North Atlantic’s Placentia campus also produced a pair of gold medal winners — Tyler Hogarth in the industrial mechanic millwright post-secondary competition and Shane Kelly in precision machining. Ryan Parsons, a native of Cupids who attends the college's St. John's campus, won gold in the car painting event.
Carbonear Collegiate’s Hayley Martin, who teamed up with Keagan Dalley from Holy Spirit High in Conception Bay South, took home gold in the 3D computer animation secondary competition.
• April Drover, Keyin College Carbonear — Silver in hairstyling (post-secondary)
• Michaela Drover, Wesley Sparkes, Jae Wells, Ascension Collegiate — Silver in robotics (secondary, team of four)
• Alex Green, Ascension Collegiate — Silver in IT network systems administration (secondary)
• Jessie Downey and Kyle Downey, Ascension Collegiate — Silver in 2D computer animation (secondary, team of two)
• Zachary LeShane, Baccalieu Collegiate — Bronze in public speaking (secondary)
• Emily Welsh, Ascension Collegiate — Silver in job skill demonstration (secondary)
• Amber Hyde, Baccalieu Collegiate — Silver in photography (secondary)
• Cheyenne Ryan, Ascension Collegiate — Bronze in photography (secondary)
•Tanisha Newell, Ascension Collegiate — Silver in CBDC: The Pitch (secondary)