It was a discovery that frightened Greg and Chrissy White so much so they reached out to the manufacturer to voice their concerns over safety.
The Corner Brook couple found their son Dru in his crib Monday morning with the plastic eye unattached to the bear, which they purchased from ultrasound company UC Baby at its St. John’s office in 2013.
“It’s frightening for one thing because it could be a choking hazard,” Greg said Friday about the potential danger to his son when he saw it.
He puts everything in his mouth so then you start thinking about what could have happened if he did put it in his mouth, which wouldn’t have turned out good.”
Greg said the stuffed toy, a UC Baby Heartbeat Bear, which plays an audio recording of a baby’s heartbeat when you press the bear’s chest, was in the crib more for looks than a toy his son played with regularly.
He figures his son woke up Monday morning, grabbed the bear, started playing with it, and eventually the eye came off.
The couple immediately contacted UC Baby to voice their concerns. White said he made it clear he didn’t want anything other than to let them know there could possibly be more faulty bears and he wanted people to be aware.
UC Baby founder Tina Urteten contacted the Whites within 24 hours and informed them the company would no longer be selling the bear design with the plastic eyes.
The Whites like how the story unfolded; they are also happy to share their story because they don’t want anyone else to get the scare they did.