Top News

Progress being made in not-criminally-responsible soccer stabbing case


The Crown has requested a few more weeks to review medical information before proceeding in the case of Nicholas Layman.

Nicholas Layman is led out of provincial court in St. John’s this morning after a brief appearance before a judge.

"We'd like an opportunity to do some more work," prosecutor Phil LeFeuvre said to Judge Lori Marshall this morning when the case was called in provincial court in St. John's.

Layman, the young man suspected of stabbing an 11-year-old boy on a soccer field in Conception Bay South last fall, has been deemed mentally fit to stand trial, but remains at the Waterford Hospital to maintain his mental fitness.

LeFeuvre and defence lawyer Mark Gruchy agreed to postpone the case until July 30.

Lawyers have received the medical report from Dr. Jasmine Gill, who has been assessing Layman at the Waterford Hospital.

The report is key in the defence's pursuit of a not-criminally-responsible case.

Last time the case was in court, LeFeuvre told the judge that the Crown won't be calling an expert to refute a not-criminally-responsible defence.

It means a resolution could be coming soon in the case.

A large group of family members again showed up in court for Layman, who is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

He was arrested on the evening of Sept. 25, 2014, after the stabbing incident. The 11-year-old victim was one of many children on the soccer pitch in Topsail taking part in a skills camp when Layman allegedly leapt from the bleachers and stabbed him in the neck, chest and shoulders multiple times before fleeing.

The victim was taken to a St. John’s hospital and was in serious condition for weeks. He has since recovered and is back at school.

When Layman appeared in court last fall, his father Scott and stepmother Doreen Layman told reporters that they had no idea of the severity of their son’s mental illness until the stabbing.

Layman also has charges pending from last year in Nova Scotia.

They include theft from Wal-Mart in Cole Harbour, and theft from Sobeys in Halifax, theft from Sobeys and Sears in Dartmouth, as well as possessing stolen property and breaches of court orders — all from June of last year. They will be dealt with separately.

rmullaley@thetelegram

Twitter: TelyCourt

Recent Stories