Kelly’s Landing ground Hawks in Over-19 final

Takes Bay Arena men’s league championship with 3-1 series victory

Nicholas Mercer
Published on April 15, 2014

Kelly’s Landing are the Bay Roberts 19-and-over Recreational Hockey League champs after a thrilling 2-1 victory in Game 4 of their championship series with the Upper Island Cove Hawks. The victory gave the team a 3-1 series victory in the best-of-five matchup. Members of the team are: front (l-r) – Robert Mercer, Stephen Dawe, Philip Norman, Brent Roach and Trevor Dixon; middle – Michael Roberts, Paul Norman, Peter George, Steven Greeley and Matthew French; back – Andrew White, Michael Adams, Jonathan Connolly, Peter Mercer, Chris Petten and Gregory Porter. Missing from the photo is Evan Hanrahan and Tommy Snow.

Submitted photo

The third time was the charm for Kelly’s Landing in their quest for a championship in the Bay Roberts 19-and-over Recreational Hockey League.


Known as the Green Machine, Kelly’s upended the three-time defending champion Upper Island Cove Hawks 2-1 in the fourth game of a best-of-five series.

The victory gave the champions a 3-1 series victory and the right to hoist the Jason Harding Memorial Trophy at the Bay Arena in Bay Roberts on April 11.

It was a titanic series that decided the league championship as the top two teams in the five-team league.

The deciding game was a nail-bitter in every sense of the word. For Kelly’s, it took more than the originally allotted 50 minutes to wrench the league title from the league champs.

With the game tied 1-1 at the end of regulation, the two teams battled through a five-minute overtime before a shootout.

Cody Roach scored for the Hawks, while Peter Mercer replied for Kelly’s.

In the extra frame, goaltenders Trevor Dixon (Kelly’s Landing) and Lee Noseworthy (Upper Island Cove) stood their ground, coming up with key saves when called upon.

When the overtime had finished, it was time for the always dramatic shootout.

The defending champs would shoot first, but Dixon was up to the task, stopping the dangerous Cody Roach.

Matthew French shot first for Kelly’s. Noseworthy was successful in keeping the puck out of the net as the teams headed to the second round of the shootout.

Up next for Upper Island Cove was 50-goal man Paul Brown.

Dixon was again up to the task, shutting the door on the high scoring centre.

Noseworthy would stop Chris Petten next, while Craig Mercer would beat Dixon, and Brent Roach would score to notch the shootout at 1-1.

Under the league’s shootout format a previous shooter can shoot after the first three rounds.

That meant Craig Mercer got a second crack at Dixon. Mercer was unsuccessful before Roach ended the game and secured the series victory.

Things started slowly for the champs as they dropped Game 1 of the series 6-3 before storming back with three straight victories.

Kelly’s narrowly defeated Upper Island Cove 5-4 in Game 2. That was followed by a 7-2 victory in Game 3.

The win was the first by Kelly’s Landing in four consecutive trips to the league finals and caps an impressive season by the machine.

Kelly’s finished the regular season in first place with a record of 20-7-1. The team scored a league high 153 goals versus just 114 allowed and had five players (Stephen Dawe, Steven Greeley, Brent Roach, Peter Mercer and Robert Mercer) in the top-10 in scoring.

Members of the team are: Stephen Dawe, Brent Roach, Steven Greeley, Peter George, Peter Mercer, Michael Adams, Robert Mercer, Trevor Dixon, Chris Petten, Michael Roberts, Tommy Snow, Matthew French, Philip Norman, Paul Norman, Evan Hanrahan, Jonathan Connolly, Gregory Porter and Andrew White.