Britain's King Charles III, Buckingham Palace, was admitted to a private London hospital on Friday for treatment of an enlarged prostate.He is enjoying. The palace said his condition was benign, and on Friday the monarch was “delighted to learn that his diagnosis is having a positive impact on public health awareness”.
“Her Majesty would like to thank everyone who has sent their best wishes over the past week,” the palace said.
No further updates on the monarch's treatment are expected, and it is unclear how long he will be in hospital or away from work while he recovers.
“Common to thousands of men every year, the King sought treatment for an enlarged prostate,” Buckingham Palace announced last week in an unspecified “corrective procedure” in its initial statement. It said his public engagements would be “postponed for short-term recovery”.
Charles was admitted to the same private hospital as his niece.Undergoing unspecified abdominal surgery last week.
Charles was crowned last year at the age of 74 after inheriting the monarchy after the death of his mother, Elizabeth II. His health is generally known to have been good. A noncancerous growth was removed from her face in 2008, the Associated Press reported.
According to Britain's National Health Service, one in three British men will experience some problem with an enlarged prostate in their lifetime, and the condition is usually associated with aging.
“It is not known why the prostate gets bigger as you get older, but it is not caused by cancer and does not increase the risk of developing prostate cancer,” the NHS says on its website.