Work scheduled to begin this spring on the downtown revitalization project in Carbonear has gone to tender.
Public works director Brian O’Grady told Carbonear council members at the Tuesday, Feb. 26 meeting he expects the tender should be awarded and ready for when weather permits the spring construction season to begin.
“The intent is to have it awarded and have the contractor kind of standing by and watching the weather so he can get started as soon as possible,” O’Grady said.
The multi-phase project has a projected cost of over $5.3 million based on the findings of a 2017 study Tract Consulting prepared for the town (that figure could be reduced depending on what measures the town decides to implement). Last year, the provincial and federal government agreed to contribute approximately $746,000 to get the project rolling in 2019.
CAO Cynthia Davis said the town has met with properties owners on Water Street to keep them informed on the work that will be happening. A page will also be set up on the town website to keep the public updated.
“It’s obviously going to be an inconvenience, so we’re trying to do what we can to make it as easy as possible for everybody,” she said, noting there will be some detours.
The work scheduled for 2019 is being divided into three parts. Work supported through multi-year capital works funding and the small communities fund. Those two aspects, which largely involved underground infrastructure work, have gone to tender, while the streetscaping work funded through the federal and provincial governments is still being work on to go to tender “in the near future,” Davis said, adding the latter work cannot begin anyhow until the other jobs are completed.