Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps (RCSCC) 280 Zaandam held its 38th annual ceremonial review on Sunday, June 9.
During the ACR, 35 cadets paraded on deck at Pearce Junior High School in Burin.
The day began with colours and the arrival of the reviewing party. The reviewing officer was Cpl. (Ret) Derrick Hanrahan,
a resident of Little Bay and president of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 29 in Burin.
Also part of the reviewing party were Lt. (Navy) Bertha Farrell, 280 Zaandam Commanding Officer Yvonne Ryan, Lt. (Navy) Harry Edwards, the Marystown zone training officer, and members of the sponsoring parent committee.
The corps chief and former coxswain returned for his seventh year in cadets in September, but in January he left to join the Canadian Armed Forces. Pte. Dylan Antle could not make it to the ACR, but sent along a message to the cadets and officers.
He wrote: “I am grateful that I got to be Chief Petty Officer First Class of RCSCC 280 Zaandam, and see all the hard work and dedication that officers and cadets put forward. The seven years I spent as a cadet were some of the finest of my life. I made friends that will last a lifetime. I wish you all the best and hope to see you soon.”
Cadets showcased six statics – marksmanship, sail, sports and fitness, seamanship, first aid, and citizenship.
Cadets then carried on with three active displays - power of command, drill team display, and band display, which had advanced to the provincial band competition in April, placing third.
Next, cadets showcased a ceremony of flags display.
Just before the sunset ceremony, two prestigious medals were presented on deck. The Legion Medal of Excellence was won by PO1 Austin Hiscock while the Lord Strathcona Trust Fund Medal was won by current coxswain, CPO2 Sophie Price.
The awards banquet, hosted by the cadet parent committee, concluded the day’s events at the Fox Cove Community Centre.
The following were the award winners and presentations:
- Most Proficient First year Cadet: LS Cody Allen
- Most Proficient First year Cadet: LS Emily Burry
- Most Proficient Second Year Cadet: MS Logan Grandy
- Most Proficient Third Year Cadet: PO2 Megan Wagg
- Most Proficient Senior Cadet: PO1 Jeffrey Farrell
- Best Instructor Award: PO1 Emily Fitzpatrick
- Training Officers Award for Esprit de Corps: LS Jack Moulton
- Nathan Brushett Memorial Award: PO2 Taylor Fewer
- Drill and Deportment Award: PO2 Alexander Dennis
- Coxswain Choice (chosen by CPO2 Sophie Price): PO2 Class Emily Lockyer
- Coxswain Choice Award (chosen by former coxswain Dylan Antle): PO1 Jeffrey Farrell
- Most Improved Cadet: LS Brittany Bugden
- Most Improved Dressed Cadet: MS Nicholas Noseworthy
- Commanding Officers Award: PO2 Alexandra Burbridge
- Cadets Choice Award: PO1 Kode Fewer
- Best Cadet At ACR (chosen by reviewing officer): PO1 Emily Fitzpatrick
- Best Static Display (chosen by revewing officer): Citizenship - PO2 Olivia Drake, MS Andrea Appleby, MS Brandy Clarke, MS Ethan Tibbo and LS Barry Brown
- Dedicated Attendance Awards: LS Cody Allan, LS Barry Brown, LS Emily Burry, LS Phoenix Kieley-Ralph, LS Jack Moulton, LS Brittany Dunphy, MS Andrea Appleby, MS Logan Grandy, MS Nicholas Noseworthy, MS Alan Brown, LS Brittany Bugden, PO2 Olivia Drake, PO2 Owen Drake, PO1 Jeffrey Farrell, PO1 Kode Fewer, PO1 Emily Fitzpatrick and PO1 Skyler Luj
- 100 Per Cent Attendance: PO2 Alexandra Burbridge, PO2 Alexander Dennis and PO2 Megan Wagg
The following cadets were awarded Navy League Service Awards, four year service medals:
- PO1 Olivia Drake
- PO1 Owen Drake
- PO1 Class Jeffrey Farrell
- PO1 Kode Fewer
- PO1 Austin Hiscock
- PO1 Emily Fitzpatrick
Five year Service Clasps (to go on medal) –
- CPO2 Class Sophie Price
- PO1 Skyler Luj