CARBONEAR, N.L. — On Sunday, June 3, 589 Air Cadets held their 64th annual ceremonial review at Carbonear Collegiate.
The reviewing officer, Maj. Craig Stone of Bryant’s Cove, was impressed by the display of the squadron’s ceremony and its static displays. The cadets, ranging in age from 12-16, showcased their knowledge of the Air Cadet program throughout the afternoon. This ceremony was attended by parents, guardians, Branch 23 Legion members, as well as Carbonear Deputy Mayor Chris O’Grady.
The Royal Canadian Medal of Excellence was presented to W02 Rileigh Lewis by local Legion president Mike Butt. This award was given to a cadet who exemplifies community involvement outside of the cadet program.
Upon completion of the review, cadets and invited guests returned to the Legion for an awards banquet. Nearly 35 awards were presented to the cadets throughout the night.
• Best First Year and Most Dedicated Cadet: Cpl. Madison Slade and Cpl. Destiny Nowak
• Best Dressed Cadet and Most Promising Cadet: Cpl. Laura King and Cpl. Emily Dunphy
• Best Second Year: F/Cpl. Jessica Somers
• Best in Band- Sgt. Matthew Slade and Sgt. Kyle Short
• Best in Drill: Sgt. Nick Nowak
• Top Junior Sharpshooter: F/Cpl. Brandon Barrett
• Top Senior Sharpshooter: Sgt. Colby Sharpe
• Most Enthusiastic Cadet: Sgt. Broc Penney
• Best Junior NCO: Sgt. Matthew Slade
• Best Senior NCO: F/Sgt. Zachary Dooley
• Most Popular Cadet: W02 Jayden White
• Best Dressed Senior and the Kiwanis Award for Community Involvement: WO2 Rileigh Lewis
• LeRoy Noel Award for Discipline: Sgt. Brady Earle.
The coveted Lions Shield for Cadet of the Year was awarded for the second year in a row to W01 Jordan Mercer.
Graduation certificates were presented to WO2 Jayden White and Sgt. Brady Earle. These two cadets along with WO1 Mercer and WO2 Gregory Short (retired) received certificates of cadet service for the time they served in the program.
Perfect attendance awards were presented to WO1 Jordan Mercer, Sgt. Kyle Short, Cpl. Madison Slade, Cpl. Destiny Nowak and Cpl. Emily Dunphy. Exemplary Attendance awards were presented to WO2 Jayden White, F/Sgt. Zachary Dooley, Cpl. Raegan White, Cpl. Julia Short and Cpl. Jayden Pike.
Jessica Mercer was recognized for her continuous support to the unit in the last three years and Commanding Officer Captain Judy Hoyles was also awarded a Certificate of Recognition from the Air Cadet League of Canada for her dedication and service provided to 589 over the last 20 years.
The night ended with the annual squadron photo and award winners photo. Cadets has mostly concluded for the year, though some cadets will attend training centres this summer in Greenwood and one will be travelling to Quebec.
— Submitted by 589 Air Cadets