- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cool/Chill time: 2 hours
- Ready in: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- Difficulty Level: Easy
Sangria is often relegated to summertime patios, but this make-ahead pitcher drink is equally perfect for holiday entertaining. Sweet-tart pomegranate juice and warm winter spices add festive flavour, and we’ve used de-alcoholized red wine to make this a great booze-free option. Garnish with fresh mint or basil sprigs for an extra pop of colour.
- Per serving: 100 calories, fat 0 g, sodium 10 mg, carbohydrate 24 g, fibre 1 g, sugars 20 g, protein 1 g
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground allspice and ground cloves
- Pinch (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 navel orange (peel-on), thinly sliced into rounds
- Half lemon (peel-on), thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 bottle (750 mL) PC Red De-Alcoholized Wine with Natural Flavour, chilled
- 2 cups (500 mL) 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) PC Pulp-Free 100% Florida Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) frozen PC Pomegranate Arils
- Bring sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and 1 cup water to a boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate syrup until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir together orange, lemon, 1 cup wine, pomegranate juice, orange juice and 1/4 cup syrup in 3-L (12 cup) pitcher. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- Stir in frozen pomegranate arils and remaining wine. Divide among PC Stemmed Wine Glasses 600 mL filled with ice.
Chef’s Tip: You’ll make more of the spiced syrup than you need for one batch of this sangria. Refrigerate the remaining syrup in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 month and use in your favourite cocktails and mocktails, or as a dressing for fruit salad.