The College of the North Atlantic on Prince Philip Drive in St. John’s went into lockdown mode for about an hour Friday morning, reportedly due to some threats being made over social media.
A number of Royal Newfoundland Constabulary vehicles quickly arrived at the post-secondary school and began an investigation.
During the lockdown students and staff inside the building had to remain in their classrooms, offices or other rooms. A number of students who were caught outside or had not yet arrived for class could not get into the building and were milling around wondering what was going on.
When the lockdown was lifted, students were sent home, as the school shut down for the rest of the day as the RNC investigation continued.
Students Jessica Piercey and Maria Bradbury, both attending the personal care attendant course, said they were in the library when the lockdown went into effect and had to remain there.
Both said they heard different rumours about what had happened, but had been told no official information.
A staff member contacted inside the school said he and other instructors also did not know what was going on. They had been going about their regular activities when the lockdown was suddenly announced.
RNC media relations officer Const. Geoff Higdon said Friday afternoon that no arrests had been made, but the investigation is continuing.
The RNC determined there was no risk to the public, he said.