According to The Telegram on Sept. 18 the Town of Bay Roberts was going to take some time to Mull over how it would treat Airbnb rental accommodations.
I have just picked up my mail and have received a bill for $500 relating to my property on Kearley’s Lane which was on Airbnb.
The bill is dated Sept. 23. A very short mulling you must admit.
My last Airbnb guest was in late August, therefore the bill from the town is retroactive taxing.
Is this legal?
The approximate revenue received from my cottage for 2019 was $800 — this was from four separate guests.
• The money earned from Airbnb is a taxable income which I declare. I am most willing to provide dates as well as tax receipts pertaining to the rental of the cottage through Airbnb for 2019.
• It is necessary to have the cottage cleaned and maintained following a guest’s stay. This is a cost of $100 which also includes some yard maintenance.
• Additional costs include internet access (which no one seems able to live without) as well as increased hydro costs.
It does not take a mathematician to figure out that were I to continue to share my quaint oceanfront cottage with visitors to Bay Roberts it would be at a significant loss.
Please note I am aware that the Town of Bonavista charges $500 tax for individuals participating in Airbnb. This being said they were also informed and included in this decision to tax. The respectful thing to do.
I am also aware that each coin has two sides and I empathize with the struggles of the Bed and Breakfast hospitality industry in Newfoundland Labrador.
This being said I wish the Town of Bay Roberts total success in generating tourism and suggest they evaluate what their waterfront has to offer.
Kitchener, Ont., and Bay Roberts
- Bay Roberts to mull over how it handles Airbnb rentals
- EDITORIAL: Taxing Airbnb
- St. John’s aims to collect tourism levy from Airbnb hosts
- LETTER: Airbnbs are here — municipalities, industry need to learn best how to live with them
- Harbour Grace bed and breakfast owner wants even playing field against Airbnb